Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't export to for publishing or upload -- error (-50)

Trying to finish a movie project which is about 60 minutes in length (finished product).

Using my older 2007 MacBook Pro which has limited memory but have emptied out almost all over non-movie files.

When I click on "export movie" it seems to start the process, but then I get 4- 5 pop-ups with messages like:

"clip x cannot be found and the movie cannot play properly."

Then the whole process shuts down and I get this error:

"the project could not be prepared for publishing because an error occurred (-50)"

I am able to preview the entire movie just fine on iMovie.

This would work for the purpose I intend but unfortunately I don't have a cord converter to project on a standard projector

(and I'm out of the country with no Mac store in sight).

Suggestions?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.6)

Posted on Dec 4, 2012 10:41 PM

4 replies

Dec 4, 2012 10:58 PM in response to benel

Hi

Error -50 paramErr Error in user parameter list

Can there be any external hard disks - if so How is/are it/they formatted ? Must be Mac OS Extended (hfs) if used for Video.

UNIX/DOS/FAT32/Mac OS Exchange - works for most but not for VIDEO.

What this means in Your situation is above me.

• free space on internal boot hard disk? How much ?

Video codec

• streamingDV, AIC etc. (not .avi, .mp4, .m4v, .wmv etc as they are containers not codecs)

Pictures

• in what format ? .jpg, .bmp, .tif, else ?

Audio

• from where/what format ? iTunes, .avi, .mp3, .aiff, else ?

The "com.apple.iMovie.plist" file

Many users has not observed that there are TWO libraries.

• Library - at root level

• Library - in user/account folder - THIS IS THE ONE to look into

from Luke Burns

I fixed the problem.. but it was very, very strange. I had a very long section for credits and set the line spacing to 1.0.. for some reason this caused it. I removed it, and it worked fine. I put it back, and I couldn't preview or play the video.

I don't know why that could cause that big of a problem, but it did..

Klaus1

You need more free space on your hard drive.

jonorparkerjon

After phone support from apple I ended up creating a new project and adding all 117 clips back in individually till I found out what clips flagged and would not allow me to export. I had 3 I deleted and replaced and everything works now 1hr after tedious work....

Where do Your material come from

• Camera

• External hard disk

• USB-memory

And all are connected so that iMovie can find it ?

Yours Bengt W

Dec 4, 2012 11:07 PM in response to Bengt Wärleby

Hi,

I can't make out what your reply is.

Looks like you aggregated several previous responses to the Error message.

The movie was created successfully on iMovie and plays fine in preview mode.

There is no external hard disc.

Is there a way to identify which clips are "flagged"? - If I can do this and remove or evaluate it may help.

wish I had more space on the hard drive -- I have eliminated everything, believe me.

Thanks for the fast reply.

Dec 5, 2012 12:16 AM in response to benel

Yes it's cumulated suggestions and my own thoughts.

More thoughts

• free space on Your Hard Disk. How Much ?

I never go less than 25GB as Mac OS is = UNIX and behaves likewise, meaning creating lot's of .temp files (invisibly to user) but in high need of temp storage - and so does the Application e.g. iMovie or iDVD.

That's why the space is essential - and it can not be addressed to other hard disks etc. It must be there.

So I would

• get an external hard disk

• format it as - Mac OS Extended (hfs) (MUST BE for Video works)

• Move iMovie Event's over to this - IN THE iMovie Application - MUST NOT BE DONE on DeskTop/Finder !

This will create space.

NEXT THOUGHT

Can it be so that You moved any material used in Your movie project ?

• As this is a non-destructive video-editor it behaves in a way one might not anticipate if not use to it.

PROJECT - Do not contain any movie - nor any copies of material used - only a small text document refering to material used and where it's stored AND how it should play together to play as the movie You are creating - compare to a conductor sheet and a symphony orchestra. If orchestra not there any more - it goes silent.

So if by example I add some audio from an Audio-CD in my movie project - then eject the CD - the Movie will go silent.

NEXT THOUGHT

What material is used

• Video-Codecs

• Photo file formats

• Audio file formats

as iMovie/iDVD are picky and looks that they can handle it but on Export it fails.

MORE COLLECTED

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4551153?tstart=0

from kimberlyjomom

After researching even more online - turned off time machine, verify and repaired disks - cleared imovie cache annnnnnd . . . SUCCESS!

Yours - thinking - Bengt W

Can't export to for publishing or upload -- error (-50)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.