Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID Conflict/Error MAC OS 10.8.2

Hi -

The following Apple ID problem is occuring on my machines:

1. in system preferences I have altered my Apple ID to the correct ID I use for everything. See image:

User uploaded file

2. MAC OS 10.8.2 doesn't change the ID on any of the applications/systems that use the ID:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Notice how MAC OS is displaying the INCORRECT Apple ID each time...

Anyone know why?

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 12:43 AM

7 replies

Dec 5, 2012 2:48 AM in response to mswcpt

Hi

I have had an issue very similar. I changed the email of my Apple ID and the change went smoothly for the most part and my iMac, MacBookPro and iPhone 5 were finally syncing correctly for the most part through iCloud. But on the iMac, Address Book kept requiring the password for my Apple ID with the previous email, which of course was no longer current.

After trying various ideas (such as deleting the previous ID and password from the Keychain access) I finally solved this issue by removing the entire Address Book file out of Library/Application Support and relaunching Address Book. It was empty of course, but it immediately recreates the required files in Application Support. I was then able to sync the "new" Address Book in iCloud via the new version of my Apple ID. (This of course assumes that you have all your contacts on iCloud beforehand.)

Things work fine now but I still think the solution I had to adopt was messy, as indeed was the fact that on my IPhone, I had to completely delete my iCloud account and reopen it with the new email, whereas I expected that since the account wasn't a different one, the change would be automatically and smoothly transmitted.

Plus the fact that to update some apps purchased previously (e.g. Keynote), I had to trash them, and redownload them with the changed Apple ID. You do this for free, but again, it's a messy proces.

I wasn't able to find clear instructions on this anywhere in the info pages about iCloud.

Anyway, to stop your Mac displaying an incorrect ID, you have to sign out of the account, and then sign back in with the correct ID.

You are invited to say whether you want to save your contacts or whatever to your computer or not. Note that if you do save to your Mac, and then let iCloud combine the data when you relaunch, you can end up with a series of doubles…

Dec 5, 2012 6:58 AM in response to Michael Hinchliffe

Hi Michael -

Thank you for the detailed response.

I can't seem to find any file relating to "contacts" in my library/application support folder. Incidentally, it seems that "address book" is now "contacts", unless I am confused!

Could you possibly indicate what file I should delete exactly and also the detailed file location?

Many thanks,

Dec 5, 2012 2:39 PM in response to mswcpt

Yes indeed the application is now called "Contacts", but not, as far as I can see, the dossier in Application Support which is called "Address Book". And that is how it was recreated after I trashed the previous one.

The exact location is: User/Library/Application Support/AddressBook.

I'm afraid I've been misusing the word file for it's the entire dossier that I removed.

If you're not seeing an AddressBook dossier in the Library, it could be because you're looking at Macintosh HD/Library/Application Support

If, by any chance you can't see User/Library, that's because it's been hidden since Lion. To reveal it, click on the Go To menu in the Finder while pressing the Option key (after which you can drag it to the side bar if you so wish).

Dec 5, 2012 11:22 PM in response to Michael Hinchliffe

Thanks again for the detailed response.

Unfortunately - I tried this, but I still have the same problem! Not sure why.... I deleted the entire "address Book " folder from the location, restarted "contacts" and then system preferences, "contacts" in iCloud. It Synced them fine, but my initial problem is still exisiting. I also noticed that my facebook email address is incorrectly displayed - the old ID rearing its head again...

Dec 6, 2012 12:58 AM in response to mswcpt

That's disappointing. The only other thing I can think of that I also did and that may have helped was to go to Keychain Access and delete the old address and password. Because I did basically both the AddressBook deletion and that at the same time, I couldn't distinguish effects.

I seem to remember that I logged out of and back in to iCloud several times to get this right, but since I was working on three different devices, the memory may already have got overlapped.

Not sure what Facebook has to do with this, unless perhaps you've also configured iMessages to include it and used the previous ID to do that…? That's in the "Mail, Contacts and Calendar" button in System Preferences. It might also be worthwhile checking exactly what is associated with your old gmail address in that window.

Dec 6, 2012 8:52 AM in response to Michael Hinchliffe

Michael -

This solved my problem now - thank you very much!

I noticed that with all the accounts, that editing them in "mail contacts & calendars" in sys preferences, that I could deleted the incorrect account details and update NOW that the correct ID is associated with my machines (did on both now).

One would think that this would be so simple, but it isn't actually - Apple haven't designed the Apple ID interface very well in my opinion...

Apple ID Conflict/Error MAC OS 10.8.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.