Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unistall server

How does one unistall OS X Server.App ???

OS X Server, uninstall the server app

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 8:08 AM

6 replies

Dec 5, 2012 9:30 AM in response to tsblackard

Once you install the Server App - it creates a number of services and changes a lot settings - it basically converts your Mac into a server. Uninstalling involves a lot more than just removing the server app. The easiest (and safest) way to revert your machine to pre-server status is to either restore it completely from Time Machine backup - or from a disk image made prior to installing the server. This is probably not what you wanted to hear - but I made this discovery the hard way myself.

If you have not actually run the server setup - you can just move the server app to the trash - but if setup has been run - removing the server app will not remove any of the changes made my the server setup process.

If you want to simply use the server app remotely from another Mac - you can do so - but you have to be careful not to allow the server setup to run. Every time you open the Server App - it will ask you if you want to configure the server. I have not yet found a way to stop it from prompting.

~Scott

Dec 5, 2012 11:51 AM in response to Linc Davis

Dragging the server app to the trash will appear to work - but when you go to empty the trash - you will see the following message below - and the trash will not empty. A subsequent attempt at emptying the trash will allow the trash to be emptied. Most of the components of the server are still in-fact installed - and will be reinstated when the server app is reinstalled.

When you do in-fact return the server app to the applications folder - opening it will result in having to go through the setup process again - under the assumption that some or all of your previous settings will be retained as well as any service related data. I can only assume that the original poster "tsblackard" is looking to completely remove the Server App and all of it's related services and data - and to the best of my knowledge the only way to do this is to restore the Mac from a backup prior to having set up the server. I suspect it can be removed manually - but not without a lot of hacking - that may or may not prove to be successful.

~Scott

User uploaded file

Dec 5, 2012 12:38 PM in response to Linc Davis

Well - I already restored it back from an image - so I am unable to look to see what removing the Server App actually did. I am fairly new to setting up and configuring web servers - so I am learning as I go - thus I am very diligent about making image backups every step of the way - as well as a MacMini dedicated to the server. I had an awful time getting server off of my MacBook Pro - and had to resort to a backup. I suspect at that time - the Server App was still sitting in the trash - and I believe some of the server level services will still in-fact running - even though I had switched off all of the services via the app before removing. The server was continuing to email me about its IP address changing - even though I had move the server app to the trash.

unistall server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.