Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I update the software will I loose the two books I have designed as they won't assemble at the moment, is there a fault?

If I update the software will I loose the two books I have designed as they won't assemble at the moment, is there a fault?

iPhoto '11, Mac OS X (10.7.4), Iphoto books

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 8:26 AM

14 replies

Dec 5, 2012 8:55 AM in response to suttonimages

How much free space do you have on it?

As to abstract questions like

is there a fault?
so what is other?

or How High is up?

Remember we can not see your computer and know only what you tell us so without details it is imporssible to help

As to

There is also a fault with the HD saying its full all the time
How could I save or correct the fault, any ideas?

With only that information the best answer is tomove your iPhoto librtary to an external hard drive, have a larger hard drive installed or remove un-needed files (usual not a solution)

LN

Dec 5, 2012 12:17 PM in response to suttonimages

If you can't assemble the book the boot into Safe Mode, Mac OS X: Starting up in Safe Mode, and try there. Is the book an XL sized one? It's been known to have assembly problems.

Be sure to make a PDF copy of it as described in this Apple document, iPhoto '11: Preview a book, card, or calendar before you order or print it , to preview for errors before ordering. Also keep a copy of the PDF to compare to the printed version when it arrives.

OT

Dec 5, 2012 2:13 PM in response to suttonimages

Once again with virtually no details - just a statement that you have some fault to do with a shortage of space

There is also a fault with the HD saying its full all the time

But you have not answered this question

How much free space do you have on it?

and have (apparently) not tried the suggestion

With only that information the best answer is to move your iPhoto librtary to an external hard drive, have a larger hard drive installed or remove un-needed files (usual not a solution)

Moving the iPhoto library is safe and simple - quit iPhoto and drag the iPhoto library intact as a single entity to the external drive - depress the option key and launch iPhoto using the "select library" option to point to the new location on the external drive - fully test it and then trash the old library on the internal drive (test one more time prior to emptying the trash)

And be sure that the External drive is formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) (iPhoto does not work with drives with other formats) and that it is always available prior to launching iPhoto

And backup soon and often - having your iPhoto library on an external drive is not a backup and if you are using Time Machine you need to check and be sure that TM is backing up your external drive

LN

Dec 5, 2012 2:15 PM in response to Old Toad

I know this thread is lacking lots of information and is hard to follow - but I think the issue is a fullhard drive - but can not get the OP to even answer direct questions to find out

OK, it just won't assemble the book, its like there is an issue or virus within the book or fault, how do I back-up or save the book, it won't even let me save a PDF of the book either
There is also a fault with the HD saying its full all the time, when I look into the HD it says there is 120GB used and 200GB saying other, so what is other?

Hare to say

LN

Dec 6, 2012 6:20 AM in response to LarryHN

Sorry, I managed to get the book ordered, but it lost me alot of time, I am still having issues, should I upgrade to the new sofaware? My Hard drive keeps saying its full but its not full, there is 200GB being used some where not used, how can I sort it? Should I save everrything to hard and then restart the machine? Which is the best way to do this please?

Dec 6, 2012 7:14 AM in response to suttonimages

Your hard drive is certainly full and that's a very dangerous situation.

OS X needs about 10 gigs of hard drive space for normal OS operations - things like virtual memory, temporary files and so on. Without this space your Mac will slow down as the OS hunts for space on the disk, files will be fragmented, also slowing things down, apps will crash and the risk of data corruption - that is damage to your files, photos, music - increases exponentially.

Your first priority is to make more space on that HD. Nothing else can be done until you do.

There are apps that will give you a more accurate reading of what's using your disk space. Check out Grand Perspective

Purchase an external HD and move your Photos and Music to it. Both iPhoto and iTunes can run perfectly well with the Library on an external disk.

Dec 6, 2012 7:59 AM in response to suttonimages

third try

With only that information the best answer is to move your iPhoto librtary to an external hard drive, have a larger hard drive installed or remove un-needed files (usual not a solution)

Moving the iPhoto library is safe and simple - quit iPhoto and drag the iPhoto library intact as a single entity to the external drive - depress the option key and launch iPhoto using the "select library" option to point to the new location on the external drive - fully test it and then trash the old library on the internal drive (test one more time prior to emptying the trash)

And be sure that the External drive is formatted Mac OS extended (journaled) (iPhoto does not work with drives with other formats) and that it is always available prior to launching iPhoto

And backup soon and often - having your iPhoto library on an external drive is not a backup and if you are using Time Machine you need to check and be sure that TM is backing up your external drive

LN

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.