Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did my brand new macbook stop working?

I bought a MacBook Pro 15" (not the Retina one) about four weeks ago.

A few days ago, it started freezing.

It doesn't matter what task if any is at hand - sometimes I'm running Chrome and sometimes only Finder.

There is no 'beach ball', there is no indication that anything is wrong. Except nothing works - the screen freezes, command+option+esc doesn't work - the only way to get it out of this state is a hard reboot.

Only change that happened between it working and not working: I installed my copy of Avid Media Composer 5.5 on there for work.

Tried uninstalling Avid - no change.

Pretty frustrated and just about ready to switch back to my trusty PC - half the price and twice the reliability.

Anyone have any ideas as to what is going on?

-d

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), Less than 2 months old

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 9:27 AM

4 replies

Dec 6, 2012 4:57 PM in response to dbones7337

Take it back! Spent a godawful amount of money on the fancy 'puter, put its base one-year warranty to good use. If necessary they'll have to give you a new one to make it right. And based on this experience, you'll have to decide on the convenience of purchasing AppleCare before the year is out, to extend the coverage for an additional 2 years.

Why did my brand new macbook stop working?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.