Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't read mpeg2 natively on my mac OSX 10.7.5

So I'm a Video Editor at a college running OSX 10.7.5 with FCP X (yuk). We use a DTE ProHD DR-HD100 (firestore) to store my footage off my JVC HD Camera. The problem is the unit records MPEG2 format for the QT record setting. I end up with hundreds of gigs for a project and running each clip thru Mpeg streamclip or such takes so much time.

Is there a QT MPEG2 componet out yet or a easier workaround for this problem?? I need to run Mpeg2 nativley.

Thanks in advance

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 11:11 AM

1 reply

Dec 5, 2012 12:30 PM in response to John Kereny

Is there a QT MPEG2 componet out yet or a easier workaround for this problem?? I need to run Mpeg2 nativley.

Most people use the direct camcorder import option built into Apple's video editing apps (assuming the camcorder is compatible/recoggnized by the app). For instance, iMovie will import MPEG-2 video by expanding the P- and B-frames to all I-frame video—essentially turing the spatial GOP content to frame editable Motion MPEG temporal video. It also converts the non-editable AC3 audio to Linear PCM (AIFF) and merges it with the video in an MOV file container with start/end time track offsets to minimize the possibility of A/V sync problems. Once, imported in this manner, the files are edit compatible with all QT based computer apps (e.g., QT 7 Pro, QT X, GarageBand, MPEG Streamclip, etc.) on systems with recent versions of iMovie installed.

User uploaded file

Can't read mpeg2 natively on my mac OSX 10.7.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.