Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

does ipod touch version 5.1 support 5ghz?

I am operating a small cafe with free internet access (password changes daily for some secuity). Most students come in with IPOD, IPHONES and/or IPADS. I purchased a DIR 815 DLink Router which provides both 2.4 ghz and 5 ghz. I setup the 2.4 for my own personal use, while, the 5.ghz for public access.

I found out today that my own IPod Touch Version 5.1 cannot find the 5.ghz WIFI connection. Is that because my version does not support 5ghz? If so, what about other products that do not support 5ghz? How do I know what will work on 5ghz? My concern, of course, is people not being able to use the 5.ghz wifi connection, forcing me to letl them access the 2.4 ghz connection.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Sharon

iPod touch

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 1:34 PM

6 replies

Dec 5, 2012 1:40 PM in response to sharon schaler

If you read the specs for the hardware they will tell you what is and is not supported. You can find specs at support.apple.com/specs/.

As for your iPod Touch it is not a "version 5.1." Rather it's a 1G, 2G, 3G, 4G, or 5G model. Of these only the 5G supports 5 GHz Wireless. The 4G supports 2.4 GHz Wireless 802.11n. All the others are limited to 802.11a/b/g Wireless.

does ipod touch version 5.1 support 5ghz?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.