Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Everything locks up, can't reformat

It happened around the last time the last release of iTunes 10 came out; anytime I try to do something on my Mac Pro running the latest version of 10.7 most everything will freeze up. Specifically, anytime a dialog/popup/sheet comes up, that program will freeze and require a force quit. When using the Finder, unless it's in list view the same problem will happen and require a Finder relaunch. The top menubar area is mostly useless as well, with empty/freezing menu lists and a frozen clock in the top right.

Because of this I'm unable to use Disk Utility or anything else. I have everything important already backed up (this is a secondary machine) and I've tried just reinstalling Lion. Unfortunately (except for holding option to choose startup disks) I can't get into recovery, safe, or any other startup mode. PRAM has also been reset but didn't seem to do anything. I have a few spare disks that I've tried reinstalling Lion to but it hasn't done anything.

I would really appreciate any help in restoring my Mac. I'll provide any other info as needed. Thanks.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 2:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 2:33 PM

Sounds like a hardware issue. Run a #3 test, run Disk Utility in OS X itself (Utilities) and check the SMART status

Step by Step to fix your Mac

Install OS X on a external drive

Create a data recovery/undelete external boot drive

You may need to copy a friends Recovery HD to a USB key to do it. If you don't have commnad option r = Internet Recovery

http://osxdaily.com/2011/08/08/lion-recovery-disk-assistant-tool-makes-external- lion-boot-recovery-drives/

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 5, 2012 2:33 PM in response to reckless ronin

Sounds like a hardware issue. Run a #3 test, run Disk Utility in OS X itself (Utilities) and check the SMART status

Step by Step to fix your Mac

Install OS X on a external drive

Create a data recovery/undelete external boot drive

You may need to copy a friends Recovery HD to a USB key to do it. If you don't have commnad option r = Internet Recovery

http://osxdaily.com/2011/08/08/lion-recovery-disk-assistant-tool-makes-external- lion-boot-recovery-drives/

Dec 5, 2012 2:39 PM in response to reckless ronin

Read this article: OS X (Lion/Mountain Lion)- About OS X Recovery and be sure to read Computers that can be upgraded to use OS X Internet Recovery to check if your computer can use Internet Recovery. If it can, then restart the computer and immediately upon hearing the chime press and hold down COMMAND-R.

Your only other option would be to erase the drive, reinstall Snow Leopard and update it to 10.6.8, then re-download Lion via your purchases in the App Store.

Everything locks up, can't reformat

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.