Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extending an existing wireless network using Time Capsule

I connected my Time Capsule via Ethernet cable to my network. I used the airport utility to extend my existing wireless network (Cisco router)k. After that my wireless devices were disconnected and I got a message stating "Unable to join wireless network". The macbook that I used to set up the Time Capsule showed a message along the lines that a device on the network was trying to use the macbook's IP address, I changed the macbooks IP address and then was able to connect my ipad and iphone to the wireless network but the connection was unusable as it was so slow. has anyone done this successfully and if so do you have nay advice

Time Capsule 802.11n (4th Gen)

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 6:31 PM

2 replies

Dec 5, 2012 6:39 PM in response to MacBama

If you connect the TC to the network by ethernet you do not extend an existing networking.. indeed you cannot.. only works with apple routers and no ethernet.

You create a wireless network.. you can use roaming .. ie use the same wireless name and security settings as the existing Cisco router but you must set different channels.

If you need instructions in that setup what version airport utility are you using. I would strongly recommend a version 5.. it is so superior cf toyland v6.

Extending an existing wireless network using Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.