Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why client 3.6.2 but no Admin 3.6.2!

This frustrates me to no end. They always release the ARD Client updater before the Admin updater. If they even get to it. You can't do a Create Client Installer if the Admin version is older than the Client version. Client and Admin must be different departments in Cupertino. Thank you for allowing me to vent.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 9:55 PM

7 replies

Dec 6, 2012 4:30 AM in response to atom_bomb

Hi Atom,

Agreed that despite several references & links (e.g. MacNN) the Admin 3.6.2 seems to be AWOL for now. Very frustrating *but* in this particular case you can upgrade the ARD 3.6.2 client (once installed on the "master") to clients when running ARD Admin 3.6.1 - I've done this with all my systems although the install process is quite slow and in one case "stuck" and had to be cancelled. However in this case the install actually appeard to have taken when I quit and relaunched admin.

Regards,

Shawn

Dec 7, 2012 10:00 AM in response to Shawn Grinter 2

The specific situation is if we build a Client Installer on Admin 3.6.1 and post it internally for distribution then a new Mac arrives at a remote location and a local tech contact does the initial set up then runs the Client Installer. The installer fails because the version of ARD already installed from the GM is "invalid". I filed a bug report which was closed as a duplicate. Access to the duplicate bug report wasn't available. I am hoping that the 3.6.2 update fixes this issue but have yet to test it. If so, updating the client OS prior to installing the Client Installer should work. Fingers crossed.

Here's the error:

User uploaded file

Dec 7, 2012 1:43 PM in response to atom_bomb

The Admin will use the client software version that is installed on your admin system to build the client installer. So, if you've installed the 3.6.2 client software on your admin system, you shouldn't have any problems building and deploying 3.6.2 Custom Client Installers on any system 10.7.5 - 10.8.2. But yes, in the future, if a new computer comes with say, 3.7 ARD client, then you'd have to recreate the installer - or target the client from within ARD and use the Change Client Settings feature instead.

Why client 3.6.2 but no Admin 3.6.2!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.