Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New "Welcome" screen

Hello, does anyone know how to re-create the "welcome" screen that one gets when one buys a brand new Mac and spells out "welcome" in several languages? I recently bought a used MacBook Pro for my cousin. I'm going to go through it to make sure everything works. I intend to "zero" out the hard drive and install a fresh copy of Snow Leopard. I'd like to put the icing on the cake and have the "welcome" screen come up when she first turns it on. I'm especially interested because she's trading up from a PC to this MacBook Pro and I know that the "welcome" screen asks later if you want to transfer your old files to this new Mac, and gives you a choice of transferring from a PC and I assume it give instructions on how to do it (I've never owned a PC so I've never had to transfer files from a PC), so I don't know what is says). Thanks!

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 9:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2017 2:13 PM

Hello,

I realize this forum is five years old but better late than never! 🙂🙂

This depends on what you want to do... ensure you backup anything you need. If you've already done that (in this case, it's not yours), you can go to this part:

Here's a chart from https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204904

The bold is my changes

Command-R

Reinstall the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac, without upgrading to a later version. If the mac came with Snow Leopard, then it resets to Snow Leopard no matter what version you are on now. Not recommended, as you don't know which type it was when you bought it, and the user will have to update for features.

Option-Command-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.

This essentially updates for the user to the best possible version that's compatible. I recommend this the best.

Shift-Option-Command-R
Requires macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later
Reinstall the macOS that came with your Mac, or the version closest to it that is still available.

This is similar to the top one. I really don't get the difference. I'm pretty sure it means that the top one means that if the program was discontinued, it will still go. This means that if it's discontinued, it will go up until it's something that works. Once again, strongly disagree with top one, as if it's discontinued support can be tricky.

The procedure is:

1. Restart Mac (Apple Menu>Restart. If you can't, shut down and turn back on)
  2. RIGHT AFTER pressing the button, when the screen goes black hold down one of the above commands depending on what you want to do. I recommend the Opt-Command-R, as the macOS program running can be very old.
  3. You will see either a spinning globe or an apple logo. Release the keys, wait....
  4. In the menu (will say time machine, support, reinstall, and disk utility), click disk utility
  5. Click 'erase' for ALL available. You click on the name, then press erase. Create a name (Macintosh HD), choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and press erase. When this is done, go file > Quit Disk Utility
  6. Click 'reinstall MacOS.' Follow the onscreen prompts. It should take a while, and ensure you have ethernet\ a good internet connection. When this is done, the Mac is brand new. If you want to set it up, follow the prompts, but if not, you're done! 😄
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2017 2:13 PM in response to Peugeotguy

Hello,

I realize this forum is five years old but better late than never! 🙂🙂

This depends on what you want to do... ensure you backup anything you need. If you've already done that (in this case, it's not yours), you can go to this part:

Here's a chart from https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT204904

The bold is my changes

Command-R

Reinstall the latest macOS that was installed on your Mac, without upgrading to a later version. If the mac came with Snow Leopard, then it resets to Snow Leopard no matter what version you are on now. Not recommended, as you don't know which type it was when you bought it, and the user will have to update for features.

Option-Command-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS that is compatible with your Mac.

This essentially updates for the user to the best possible version that's compatible. I recommend this the best.

Shift-Option-Command-R
Requires macOS Sierra 10.12.4 or later
Reinstall the macOS that came with your Mac, or the version closest to it that is still available.

This is similar to the top one. I really don't get the difference. I'm pretty sure it means that the top one means that if the program was discontinued, it will still go. This means that if it's discontinued, it will go up until it's something that works. Once again, strongly disagree with top one, as if it's discontinued support can be tricky.

The procedure is:

1. Restart Mac (Apple Menu>Restart. If you can't, shut down and turn back on)
  2. RIGHT AFTER pressing the button, when the screen goes black hold down one of the above commands depending on what you want to do. I recommend the Opt-Command-R, as the macOS program running can be very old.
  3. You will see either a spinning globe or an apple logo. Release the keys, wait....
  4. In the menu (will say time machine, support, reinstall, and disk utility), click disk utility
  5. Click 'erase' for ALL available. You click on the name, then press erase. Create a name (Macintosh HD), choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and press erase. When this is done, go file > Quit Disk Utility
  6. Click 'reinstall MacOS.' Follow the onscreen prompts. It should take a while, and ensure you have ethernet\ a good internet connection. When this is done, the Mac is brand new. If you want to set it up, follow the prompts, but if not, you're done! 😄

Dec 14, 2012 5:45 PM in response to mende1

Dear mende1: thank you for your reply. I guess what I really meant to ask is is there a way after erasing the disk and installing Snow Leopard again and going through the "welcome" screen images and all…is there a way after the fact of reseting it so when my cousin turns it on for the first time that it will again show the "welcome" screen? Thank you.

Jan 25, 2015 10:41 AM in response to Peugeotguy

OK, I'm just telling you, that's not how you do it. To show the welcome screen, you must first erase your hard drive and reinstall OS X. Here I will tell you how to do that. First, you will need a bootable USB Snow Leopard install drive. To do this, you need a 8 GB or bigger USB drive. To get started, make sure the 8 GB USB drive in inserted in the Mac. Then open Disk Utility. Click your USB drive on the left. Then click the "Partition" tab at the top. In the drop-down menu, make sure you have "1 Partition" selected. Then name the drive something like "Install Snow Leopard" or "Install OS X" or really anything you want. Then make the format "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)". Now remember that what I will tell you to do next will erase all the data on your USB drive. So if you have anything important on it, take it off. Now click "Revert". Now for this part you need your Mac OS X Install DVD. Make sure the DVD is for Snow Leopard, or else your USB drive will not install Snow Leopard. Insert the DVD into your Mac. If you have already closed Disk Utility, open it again. Now click your USB drive on the left. Then click the "Restore" tab. For the source, drag the DVD from the left of the screen or from your desktop into the blank text field. For the destination, if not already there, drag your USB drive there from the left. Now click "Restore". Now eject the DVD. Once that's done, you have your bootable USB drive. Now I will tell you how to use it to erase all your data from your mac. Turn off your Mac and hold down the option key. Then, while still holding down the option key, turn on your Mac. Now select "OS X Install DVD" or something that sounds like it would install OS X. I don't really know what the name would be, because Disk Utility changed it. So just select the one that you think installs OS X and click the arrow under it once it is selected. Once your Mac boots, you will see the Snow Leopard install screen. DON'T CLICK ANYTHING YET!!! First click "Utilities" in the menu bar and select Disk Utility. Now select your Mac hard drive from the left. Then click on the "Erase" tab. Now make sure the format is "Mac OS X Extended (Journaled)". Then name the drive something like "Macintosh HD" or "Mac HD" or "Snow Leopard HD" or something like that. I recommend the default name, Macintosh HD. WARNING: WHAT I WILL TELL YOU TO DO NEXT WILL ERASE EVERYTHING ON YOUR COMPUTER, INCLUDING FILES, USERS, AND APPS. Now click the "Erase" button. The erasing may take a while. Once it's done, quit Disk Utility. Then press the "Continue" button. Then select your Mac's hard drive.Then press "Install". It may take a while to install Snow Leopard. Once Snow Leopard is done installing, you may see the welcome video. At any time you can shut down your Mac. Just don't go through the setup process. Shut down as quickly as you can after you see the beginning of the welcome video. Now your Mac is like new and the welcome video will show up at the next boot. Hope this helps!

New "Welcome" screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.