Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i manually add album art to itunes 11?

How do I manually add album art using iTunes 11?

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 11:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 1:57 AM

If you're adding artwork to a song:

Right-click on the song and select "Get Info".

Click on the "Artwork" tab.

If you're adding artwork to an album:

Right-click on the album and select "Get Info".

Look for the "Artwork" box in the bottom right corner.

In either one, you can browse for the artwork, drag and drop from your desktop, or copy and paste.

29 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2012 1:57 AM in response to kentzim

If you're adding artwork to a song:

Right-click on the song and select "Get Info".

Click on the "Artwork" tab.

In either one, you can browse for the artwork, drag and drop from your desktop, or copy and paste.

Aug 17, 2013 9:38 PM in response to kentzim

I had the same problem and i came up with a very simple solution that worked for me. My itunes version is 11.0.4.4

Step 1 Look for the folder where your mp3 is stored. (Example My Music Folder)

Step 2 Right Click on the music file and select properties

Step 3 On the General tab UNCHECK read only and click OK or Apply

Step 4 Go to itunes and rightclick the music title

Step 5 Select Get info and paste your Album artwork at the Artwork Tab.

Hope this helped.

Aug 19, 2013 3:11 PM in response to kentzim

I have manually added artwork to each of the songs, but no matter what I do, I cannot seem to get it to save for the album.

I have an image I have attached to the songs. However when I select the album and get info, and add the artwork, when I press OK the artwork is not saved/updated.

BTW I'm using a new Mac running iTunes version 11.0.5

Nov 9, 2013 11:39 AM in response to mlytthouse

I was having same issue (on mac running iTune 11.0.5). It's weird, but the way I finally got the art work to be associated with a full album was to follow the process as described by EvilGnome6 above (repeated here):

Double click on the empty artwork box which brings up a file browsers. Browse to the artwork and selcet "Open". Here's the importatn part - before you close the info panel - uncheck the radio box next to the artwork panel then close the panel and after a moment (I changed view mode from by Artists to by Album), the artwork was there!

Strange that I had to uncheck that box to get it to take.

Hope this helps.

Nov 9, 2013 1:30 PM in response to John Harkins

Well - it seems that wasn't really what solved it because I'm back to having the same trouble so sorry for not having htta correct above. I knew it seemed a rather bizarre solution and apparently it was no solution at all. It looks like there's some sort of modal programming issue with this fature - perhaps a bug in iTunes. I'll try upgrading to latest version ...

Jun 1, 2014 10:52 AM in response to alexfromleyland

alexfromleyland wrote:

How blooody stupid is it that you can't add artwork to an album?

You can. The second part of EvilGnome6's answer explains it clearly.

• User tt2 mentions is his post that artwork cannot be added to a .wav file. Are you files in wav format? (This is nothing to do with Apple. It stems from the design of the wav format by Microsoft and IBM in 1991.)
  • TT2 also points out that if the music files are set to "read-only", then artwork cannot be added to them. Turn off the read-only for any file that you wish to add artwork to.

If you are still having issues, then tell us how you are trying to add the artwork (e.g. which iTunes Library view are you using, Songs, Albums or something else) and what happens when you try.

alexfromleyland wrote:

You have to add it to an individual song in the album and then it passes this across to the album.

No, you do not.

Highlight all the songs on an album, such as Making Movies (below) and respond to the question...

User uploaded file

and then ...

User uploaded file

Note that the picture may not (probably won't) appear in the box as you do this. Click OK and then, if you need to confirm this, check each track.

how do i manually add album art to itunes 11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.