Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX Running out of Memory...pls help

I don't understand. I have a Mac Pro 8 Core 2,4 Ghz with 32 Gb of memory running Mountain Lion en Final Cut Pro X. I am working with one hour of videofootage from my Canon XF300 (XMF 1080 50mb/s converted to (FCPX Optimal Performance) ProRess.

I am working with the project for about an hour and then the memory-alert kicked in. I have been using a memory cleaner (which I feel I should not have too) and I had only 80Mb's left. How is this possible and doesn't OSX manage its memory itself?

What can I do?

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 3:10 AM

19 replies

Dec 6, 2012 8:30 AM in response to lupaie

Don't mind me joining in. I have memory storage problem too.

My ext HDD memory was running low too. Left 62gb.

I continue to do some editing but although I did not do any exporting/encoding, it suddenly went down to only 2gb.

How come ?

As I edit, I sometimes see the orange lines slowly dissappear, does this background rendering eats up the memory space ? If yes, then how do we get back those space ?

Thanks

Dec 7, 2012 4:27 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Ian R. Brown wrote:

Rendering produces render files which usually are ProRes422, so they obviously take up a lot of space.

I think the OP is referring to RAM not hard drive space.

Message was edited by: Ian R. Brown

But in the timeline, we naturally made many changes over and over againn.

And if everytime we made changes in the timeline, FCPX renders it to ProRes 422, then our ext HDD will be very fast fill up of unwanted rendered files. How do we delete these files ?

Thanks

Dec 7, 2012 4:48 AM in response to lupaie

lupaie wrote:

I am indeed talking about the RAM.

Oops sorry, I thought you were talking about HDD memory.

Allow me to ask in response to Ian's answer::

But in the timeline, we naturally made many changes over and over againn.

And if everytime we made changes in the timeline, FCPX renders it to ProRes 422, then our ext HDD will be very fast fill up of unwanted rendered files. How do we delete these files ?

Thanks

FCPX Running out of Memory...pls help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.