Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cant get my Samsung M3 to work

Hi I've recently purchased a Samsung M3 portable external hard drive (500GB). Unfortunatly I cant get it to work. I am running snow leopard (10.6.8).

When i plug the drive in it finds it ok and if I click on th icon in finder it opens up the file with 7 files in

Autorun.inf

Samsung_Drive_Manager.exe

Portable SecretZone.exe

Secure Unlock_win.exe

Samsung Drive Manager

User Manual

Samsung Drive Manager Manuals

If I double click on Autorun.inf it says there is no application set to open it. If I open the folder Samsung Drive Manager theres a Drive Manager Install.exe in there but if I open that a window comes up with a load of this comes up.

$bF+N&'E &'E &'E ];I %'E •;K 9'E I8O †'E I8N )'E ¸ Y %'E ` $'E O $'E &'D v&E ‹ \ 3'E N 'E ·!C ''E Rich&'E PEL Ù≤&F‡ Ä P î ê @ Vá; » ∞ L h°: X ê à .textBz Ä `.rdatapöê †ê @@.data,t0 `0 @¿.rsrc L ∞ P ê @@UãÏSV3€WSSˇu ã=∏ëDˇu SSˇ◊ãNVSˇ HìD;√âE t VPjˇˇu SSˇ◊ãE _^[]√UãÏQäUˇã¡äMˇà 3…âH âH âH àP âH âH âH àH àH!…√∏s=DË⁄˜ ÉÏ SVãÒWâuËÄ~ «E¸ Ö) ã~ ãF ;¯ªÿîDtwãœË∂ Ph¯0Eh‰0Eh‘0EËÆs Ƀ ÉeÏÉÏ(âe‰ãÃjW« –îDâY Ëó Ë~8 Ƀ(Ñ¿t'ãœËn

If I try and drag and drop into hard drive it wont let me.

Please any ideas?

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 3:56 AM

8 replies

Dec 6, 2012 4:02 AM in response to Duffff

It's a Windows program, so you can't use it on OS X. Just delete these files and use your external disk.

If you can't delete files, the external disk is in NTFS.

1. Open Disk Utility, select the external disk in the sidebar and go to Erase tab.

2. In Format, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled) if you want to use it only with Macs, or exFAT if you want to use it with Macs and PCs, and choose Erase

Dec 6, 2012 4:16 AM in response to Duffff

Well done guys this sorted it. Went straight to time machine and is backing up as we speak. Fantastic. Does time machine back every thing up. The main reason I bought the hard drive was to save all my photos and music because I would be so gutted if I lost these. Does time machine save these?

Feb 10, 2016 4:24 PM in response to EEmmmm

Hi EEmmmm

I had this problem too, was able to get it to work by deleting all the files on the M3 drive (after copying contents to folder on laptop) and then reformatting with Disk Utility. That worked fine then, no error message - just a reformat - and then able to add to Time Machine as back up drive. Good luck : )

Cant get my Samsung M3 to work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.