Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac RAM upgrade madness

My iMac (Mid 2007 aluminum) had been upgraded so that one slot had a 2GB stick and the other had a 1GB stick. A 2GB stick was purchased to replace the 1GB stick, for a total of 4GB.

Unfortunately, they don't work together..

When you have the 1GB stick with either 2GB sticks, the computer boots up fine and registers a total of 3GB. Even if they are swapped places.

When you put both 2GB sticks in (in either configuration), however, the computer boots and only displays a black screen. No chime is heard, but the computer running can be heard.

Any ideas? This makes no sense at all.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 7:37 AM

16 replies

Dec 6, 2012 8:12 AM in response to Apple know-it-all

Are you sure this is a 2007 model iMac and not a late 2006 model purchased later?

What is your iMac model number identifier?

From what you describe, you may have a late 2006 model.

Those iMacs could take 4 Gbs of RAM, but only address 3 GBs of the total.

Apple allowed these iMacs to have have 4 GBs of RAM because the hardware/software architecture can take advantage of matched pairs of RAM.

Dec 6, 2012 5:14 PM in response to Apple know-it-all

Apple know-it-all wrote:

They're both PNY. It was 6400, rather than 5300, which I thought would still work. All of the other required specs meet up. Does it not work in this case?

Nope you have the buy the RAM specified for your machine, they will not run RAM designed for machines that were designed after it. I'd recommend contacting a reputable reseller of RAM such as OWC (www.macsales.com) or Crucial.

Dec 6, 2012 5:22 PM in response to Apple know-it-all

The speed of the chips is different from what I can see searching on the web. If your Mac calls for one then using the other could be cause problems.

The 6400's run at 800MHz while the 5300's run at 667MHz and it looks like your machine calls for the 5300.

In your case given the oddity of the symptoms I would think using the wrong chips could be causing the problem. The only way to know for sure is to get the correct chips and see what happens.

regards

Dec 6, 2012 6:22 PM in response to Apple know-it-all

I knew you would ask this 😉

The best I can tell you is that when dealing with timing issues anything and everything is possible. There is no way to say just what will work or fail. It is very possible that if you put those chips in a different 2007 iMac you'll get totally different symptoms.

All that can be said is if you are using the wrong chips and the machine is not working then putting in the right chips is the first step.

regards

Dec 7, 2012 11:31 AM in response to rkaufmann87

I'm in the same boat only I did use PC2-5300. I have a mid 2007 imac and was also looking to upgrade to 4GBs and can only get 3 to run. Also, it only boots up if the GB stick is in the Bank0/DIMM0 slot.

I tried with two 2 GB sticks of PNY DDR2 PC2-5300.

The sales person said I could return them if it didn't work but that will have to wait until monday. I'll repost if I find a brand that works...

Dec 7, 2012 12:23 PM in response to Apple know-it-all

Lot's of problems in these topics with PNY RAM.

One good stick of RAM may allow the Mac to set the other stick to a useful setting.

BTW, you can put 6 GB from OWC in it...

At the Apple Icon at top left>About this Mac, then click on More Info, then click on Hardware> and report this upto but not including the Serial#...

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac7,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 6 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.21f4

May 25, 2013 4:10 PM in response to BDAqua

Systems been running slow. Running 10.8.3. I want to upgrade iMac memory and looked at OWC. I saw the 6GB. Can the older iMac take advantage of 6GB? I don't touch hardware often but it looks fairly simple. Here's my system info:

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac7,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 4 MB

Memory: 2 GB

Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Boot ROM Version: IM71.007A.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.21f4

Any advice is appreciated!

iMac RAM upgrade madness

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.