Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Another device on the network is using your IP address.

We have several iOS and OSX devices, plus one Windows one, regularly utilizing our home wireless network, based in a Time Capsule. Occasionally -- like every few months -- we find this error message on one of our computers: Another device on the network is using your IP address. Often just waiting and trying again seems to solve this problem, but I wonder if we should be doing something differently. Some of our devices do remain on, in sleep mode, overnight, and we do sometimes shut down the Time Capsule (only when all devices are off or asleep) at night. Otherwise I think we are pretty normal users.

Please share any insights you can!

Note: I have found this article, which suggests this might be a problem which could be solved by Apple, but it is over 2 years old: http://osxdaily.com/2010/09/19/another-device-on-the-network-is-using-your-compu ters-ip-address/

Time Capsule-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 2:10 PM

Later versions of Mac OS are having network issues..

You have a couple of ways around the issue.. the simple one I would try is to reduce the dhcp lease time on the TC (assuming it is dhcp server) to 20minutes.. it gives very little increase in network traffic but can help the client and TC keep up with devices when they sleep etc.

Another is to use the fixed IP by dhcp that is also available in the TC.. that locks ip to MAC address of the network card.

A reboot of the network.. ie from everything shut down.. restart in order.. modem.. router / TC.. clients.. will fix it.

And if the issue is only every few months is also good practice.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2012 2:10 PM in response to Rangeley

Later versions of Mac OS are having network issues..

You have a couple of ways around the issue.. the simple one I would try is to reduce the dhcp lease time on the TC (assuming it is dhcp server) to 20minutes.. it gives very little increase in network traffic but can help the client and TC keep up with devices when they sleep etc.

Another is to use the fixed IP by dhcp that is also available in the TC.. that locks ip to MAC address of the network card.

A reboot of the network.. ie from everything shut down.. restart in order.. modem.. router / TC.. clients.. will fix it.

And if the issue is only every few months is also good practice.

Dec 6, 2012 2:30 PM in response to Rangeley

Yes.. it is all done in the airport utility.

User uploaded file

DHCP lease time by default you can see is one day.. simply change that to 20min..

Fixed ip is via the DHCP reservations.. click the + and connect an IP to MAC address or name ?? of the client.. sorry my TC is offline.. I will get back shortly.

There is no disadvantage as long as the device is setup via the TC.. if you use static IP setting on the device that can often cause issues with the TC forgetting how to reach it. So if possible fix ip via the TC.

Dec 10, 2012 8:03 AM in response to LaPastenague

Thank you! The detailed instructions are hugely helpful.

For now I am just trying your suggested DHCP time change. So far it is working fine, without any noticeable change in performance with our various devices. We will have to wait a while to determine whether this has fixed the intermittent error message issue. If we see the problem again, I will try fixing some IP addresses.

Again, many thanks.

Another device on the network is using your IP address.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.