Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keyboard and water

I spilled a quarter cap full of water (so it's very very little) on the left side of my keyboard this morning, and all the keys were working fine after using it when it was put to sleep. But about five minutes into using it, some keys on the top right stopped working. Did the water cause those keys to stop working? It was only very little bit of water, and was spilled on the left. Some keys on the top right stopped working. Thanks! I'm using a Macbook Air 13".

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.8)

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 9:28 AM

3 replies

Dec 6, 2012 9:49 AM in response to user2011

Immediately open the Air & invert the keyboard, and let it remain for a time such that any remaining water might "fall out". Take it into an Apple Store Genius Bar, ASAP.

The water is not the problem. The problem is everything else dissolved in the water. Minerals, and other dissolved solids make the water conductive. As such it is capable of shorting out every single component within its reach. First to succumb is the keyboard, followed by the logic board, and the battery as the water decends by gravity and capillary action.. Not to mention the potential for corrosion, which will make matters even worse.

Time is of the essence to have the unit serviced, to possibly save components, which if allowed to fail may make the whole unit economically unfeasible to repair.

Keyboard and water

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.