8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2012 4:54 PM by CMCSK
TylerOParker Level 1 (0 points)

I recently knocked tea on my MB Pro 13" (Mid 2012). Apart from the keyboard backlight, everything was fine. So I opened it up and the residue that was visible after drying was only on the optical drive. The logic board seems safe. Will it be ok?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • Poikkeus Level 4 (2,785 points)

Tea is more water-like than other beverages, so letting it dry thoroughly is important. In other words, let it dry for several additional days, as water can cause damage in unexpected ways.

• steve359 Level 6 (13,352 points)

You may have dodged a bullet this time, but I would be making backups everyday from now on.  Always better to have your backup being only one day old if (when?) hidden damage comes to light. 

• sig Level 8 (35,785 points)

Spill Cleaning

And, don't think that just because it was two teaspoons and not a glassful that there is a difference.

Some liquid has just spilled into your Mac. What should you do?

Do

• Immediately shut down the computer and unplug the power cord.
    • Remove the computer's battery (if you can)
    • Disconnect any peripherals (printers, iPods, scanners, cameras, etc.)
    • Lay the computer upside down on paper towels to get as much liquid as possible to drip out.
    • Note what was spilled on your Mac.
    • Bring the computer into an Apple store or AASP as soon as possible.

Don't

• Don't try to turn it back on. Liquids can help electrical current move about the components of your Mac in destructive ways.
    • Don't shake the computer (this will only spread the liquid around).
    • Don't use a hair dryer on it (even at a low setting a hair dryer will damage sensitive components).
    • Do not put in a bag of rice in as much as rice will get into the ports and optical drive and do further damage.
  • Big Flubbinz Level 1 (0 points)

Always try to shut down the computer and unplug any power cord(s) in hindsight. Do not try to turn your computer back on, however, because liquids can move throughout your computer's electrical current, thus forging deteriorable difficulties to your computer(s) in countless ways.

• TylerOParker Level 1 (0 points)

Just to say I did let it dry for a day and night - then i checked inside and the tea residue was only on the optical drive. I then powered it on and it seemed fine. Would it be visible on the logic board?

• CMCSK Level 6 (10,717 points)

If you added sugar or honey to your tea, the logic board will be sticky.  You stated you opened up your computer and checked.  Did you notice any residue?  A magnify glass may see the residue.

dancingsmilie.gif

• TylerOParker Level 1 (0 points)

I checked real close and i couldnt see any. Do you think an genius will be able to check it out for me. The tea did have sugar in.

• CMCSK Level 6 (10,717 points)

Better safe than sorry!

dancingsmilie.gif