Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Sign out of iCloud

I'm somehow still signed on to iCloud on Lion, even after i signed out http://d.pr/i/5adUhttp://d.pr/i/Lxfe , and when open mail, it keeps creating the iCloud account, as if it's saved somewhere. I even did this http://pastie.org/5489947 . What I expected when I signed out was for Mail.app to ask me for a new login. And I'm also still signed onto Messages Beta

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 10:43 AM

16 replies

Jan 31, 2013 5:58 AM in response to Csound1

I'm the same way. MacBookPro, OS X 10.8.2. Keep trying to log out of icloud and it says "Signing Out" with spinning ball and it never stops. OK, I've let it go about an hour before waking up and giving up. Does the same thing on our iMac in the kitchen. CAN sign out fine on all my iOS devices, it's just the Mac OS devices that lock up when trying to sign out. Curious that there are not more posts about this, I guess we're the only ones trying to sign out! 🙂 (btw, I'm just trying to sign out of my .me account to log in to my .icloud account for consistency purposes). I guess Apple wants us to stay in .me>.icloud transition and not be all .icloud yet. This is their way of telling us that? Wondering when the .me>.icloud transition will finally resolve, or are we stuck with both .me and .icloud for the forseeable future?

Thanks for having the same problem!

Jan 31, 2013 8:29 AM in response to WonderingOne

WonderingOne wrote:

I'm the same way. MacBookPro, OS X 10.8.2. Keep trying to log out of icloud and it says "Signing Out" with spinning ball and it never stops. OK, I've let it go about an hour before waking up and giving up. Does the same thing on our iMac in the kitchen. CAN sign out fine on all my iOS devices, it's just the Mac OS devices that lock up when trying to sign out. Curious that there are not more posts about this, I guess we're the only ones trying to sign out! 🙂 (btw, I'm just trying to sign out of my .me account to log in to my .icloud account for consistency purposes). I guess Apple wants us to stay in .me>.icloud transition and not be all .icloud yet. This is their way of telling us that? Wondering when the .me>.icloud transition will finally resolve, or are we stuck with both .me and .icloud for the forseeable future?

Thanks for having the same problem!

Sorry, I'm not having a problem, perhaps you meant someone else?

Jul 5, 2013 8:28 AM in response to Csound1

I have the same problem.

I have upgraded to Lion - which started the problem - and upgraded to Moutnain Lion to try to fix it, but it just got worse.

I can't sign out of iCloud in system preferences > iCloud.

If I open Contacts, it slows the whole machine down to the point nothing works (eg 3 minutes to open a new finder window). If I deselct Contacts synching in system preferences it turns it back on again as soon as I close preferences, and after a couple of minutes if I leave them open.

Driving me crazy!!!!

Jul 5, 2013 8:48 AM in response to alionpdonmymac

Now my last 30 years of contacts has suddenly disappeared from my Contacts.

I backed them up as advised before doing this, but when I try to recover them it only recovers about 10 contacts out of about 5000.

What can I do to get them back???

What is wrong with Apple all of a sudden.

I spent 25 years telling people how great Mac was.

Ever since installing Lion I have not had a single day when I could say anything good about it.

Sep 17, 2013 2:43 AM in response to alionpdonmymac

Samo problem here but worse.. Also when I try to sign out of iCloud the spinning wheel appears and 'Icloudhelper' ram usage creeps up and up till it's consuming 4 gigs of ram and then my entire Macbook freezes and becomes completely unusable..

So.. I don't want Icloud.

I go to preferences and see it's there but 'inactive'

User uploaded file

I hit the minus button to remove it completely.. it's gone! GOOD!!

User uploaded file

I check Icloud and see that I am not signed in. GOOD!!

User uploaded file

I open my address book and see that by removing Icloud it deleted all my contacts.. no problem I have a back up...

I go to Address book preferences and make sure that Icloud is removed and that my contacts will ONLY be stord locally on my Mac..

GOOD!

User uploaded file

I import my contacts and get this message!!!

User uploaded file

WHAT!!! But I just instructed my computer not to do that with all the previous steps!!

So I click CANCEL and check the address book preferences again...

What do I see? That Icloud has reactivated itself and ENABLED itself into my address book preferences!!!

What the ****!!!

User uploaded file

SO... I uncheck the Icloud ENABLE option and then watch as Icloud wipes my entire contact list from

my address book!!!

User uploaded file

I then go to my Preferences and see that Icloud has in fact turned itself on again and now offers me the option to SIGN OUT!!

User uploaded file

SO.. Again I click SIGN OUT.. and repeat the entire process round and around...

It seems that I Icloud refuses to allow me to HAVE or USE my Macbooks address book at all unless it too can have a copy of

all my contacts stored on it's Icloud service...

Can anyone tell me please how on earth can I get rid of Icloud services from my computer entirely!!???

I have tried logging out.. deactivating it.. removing it from all possible preference panes in all applications where that option exists yet

if I dare to put a single address in my address book it's back taking over my life or refusing to let me use my computer as I wish!!

Please Help!!

Can't Sign out of iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.