Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder not showing files when I open folder

A folder on my external hard drive which I was just editing/ doing some file organization with,

contains 60gb of data.

Lots of files and folders in it.

For no apparent reason,

it is now showing nothing in it when I open it,

Still says size is 60gb, but when I open it, the files do not show.

What is going on?

I need to work on these files.

If you can help me with this, it would a huge help.

Thank you.

ps. in Mountain Lion 10.8.2, late 2011 macbook pro.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 3:20 PM

27 replies

Jul 10, 2017 4:00 PM in response to TheTef

Nothing worked for me. For some reasons, if I write over a previous copy of a file, this seems to happen allot. I can only view the files by searching for them specifically, they are hidden during a normal view of the folder for some reason.

I learned today that I can view the hidden files in their folder by hitting Command-Shift-Period(dot)

Dec 6, 2012 4:14 PM in response to baltwo

Sorry, I should have specified :
I read through a previous thread on this topic,

similar title, and I tried this fix you mention, numerous times, and restarting the computer, and ejecting the drive and plugging back in, but none of this worked.

All the other folders and their respective files show up on the drive.

Something else strange ; the folder information box says it contains 1 file, but I know it contains more....

I have been copying and pasting using a plugin called "Total Finder" which I have used for years with no problem.

I will check the backup of my backup to compare the folders,

it's possible I moved the contents to another folder, and for some reason it still says this file contains 60gb, but I can't understand why that would be.

And I feel sure I did not get around to moving the contents.

Conundrum!

Thanks for your replies.

Dec 6, 2012 4:30 PM in response to Benway1

[Please note, the plugin I mention is NOT a finder substitute. It is a plugin, and merely gives the finder tabs.

If I disable this plugin, the result is the same in the "original" finder. Although when I say "original" I was using finder all along anyway.]

I shouldn't have mentioned it, it is superfluous info.

I dragged and dropped files using finder, that's all that needed to be said really.

It would obviously make no sense to ask questions about finder if I was not using finder.

Okay, I have to say, this is incredibly strange :

After comparing the two separate drives,

it seems I DID actually move the files to another folder [and forgot / was unsure of this],

however, the info box still says the original folder I mention is 60gb, with one file [which does not appear when I open it]

and finder is not displaying the increase in size in the folder [I'll call it folder 2] I moved the files to.

I wonder if I delete the original folder, are the sub-folders I moved to folder no.2 going to be deleted?
Are they still somehow connected to the original folder?

I was moving things around to try and merge all my files and folders into one folder [folder no.2]

Dec 6, 2012 4:30 PM in response to Benway1

Benway1 wrote:

After comparing the two separate drives,

it seems I DID actually move the files to another folder [and forgot / was unsure of this],

however, the info box still says the original folder I mention is 60gb, with one file [which does not appear when I open it]

and finder is not displaying the increase in size in the folder [I'll call it folder 2] I moved the files to.

I wonder if I delete the original folder, are the sub-folders I moved to folder no.2 going to be deleted?
Are they still somehow connected to the original folder?

If folder 2 contains the items you want and isn't a subfolder of folder 1, then deleting folder 1 won't have any effect on what's in folder 2.

Dec 6, 2012 4:38 PM in response to baltwo

Have you heard of this issue before?

Is it possible to update the locations of the subfolders I moved and the new sizes of the main folders so that finder will recognize all this correctly?

Ideally, I would like the respective folders to both read their own sizes correctly, in case the moved-sub-folders are still connected / tied to the original location, and are merely "appearing" in their new location.

If I take the chance on deleting folder no.1 ,

I may still be left with the odd problem of finder not reading my drive's size correctly.

Also, are you positive deleting the original folder will not delete the subfolders in their new location, and that the subfolders are not still connected to original folder?

Sorry if I'm typing too much..... not great at explaining in short.

Dec 6, 2012 4:40 PM in response to Benway1

Benway1 wrote:

Have you heard of this issue before?

No.

Also, are you positive deleting the original folder will not delete the subfolders in their new location, and that they are not connected?

Yes, as long as the two folders aren't connected. If you're that worried, copy folder 2 to your HD, before deleting it on the ext HD.

Dec 6, 2012 5:13 PM in response to baltwo

Okay, I started to copy the 60gb folder to the desktop.

It started copying, and the copy-dialog box said it was moving 60gb , about 1300 files.

[despite finder info box saying 60gb with 1 file]

So it seems they are still located in the original folder, without showing there :/ 😟

This is confusing, and seems to maybe conflict with what you were saying.....

Is it possible I have accidentally "hidden" the files in the original folder?
I will try an app called "Houdini" which unhides hidden folders, and see if that turns up anything.

Dec 6, 2012 5:18 PM in response to Benway1

Ok, here is a solution:

1) Get the file to your Desktop.

2) Open Terminal from Applications --> Utilities

3) Type chmod 777 and then drag the folder to Terminal.

4) Hit enter. Nothing should pop up.

5) Now, type chown user and then drag the folder to the window and hit enter, replacing user with your first name in lowercase.

Hope this helps! When dragging, make sure you see a file path show up after the command, if not, redrag it.

Finder not showing files when I open folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.