Skip navigation

Aperture photos lost links to "original files"

509 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Dec 8, 2012 6:14 AM by dr-md RSS
dr-md Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Dec 6, 2012 2:07 PM

Hello:

Almost all my pictures are now reporting that they have lost the link to their "original files".   This is the icon that shows up in the bottom right hand corner of the photos:

The result is that I can do nothing with the photos.  No email, no export, no modifications, etc.  This is a typical message:

I have tried everything that I can find in the manual or in these discussion boards, including File\Relocate Originals, removing the Library Preference file, and all three steps in the first aid functions.

I noticed the problem after Apple replaced the hard drive under their replacement plan and I had to restore my hard drive from Time Machine

I have tried to pull an older version of the library file from time machine, but it has the same problem.

I have looked for ways to contact apple support, but it seems that route is no longer available for Aperture.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd be very appreciative.

I am running aperture v 3.4.3 and osx v 10.8.2 on a late 2009 imac with 8gb ram

Aperture 3, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)
  • léonie Level 8 Level 8 (46,525 points)
    Dec 6, 2012 2:22 PM (in response to dr-md)

I have tried everything that I can find in the manual or in these discussion boards, including File\Relocate Originals, removing the Library Preference file, and all three steps in the first aid functions.

You will need to reconnect (locate) your referenced files, not to relocate them.  Was that a typo, or did you try to relocate?

Are you using the same user account name as before, and is your harddrive called the same as before?

If that is not the case, then Aperture may not be able to find the originals, because the path to the files has changed.

Is your Aperture library managed or referenced? Where is the library located, and where are your referenced original image files, if the library is referenced?

Regards

Léonie

Dec 6, 2012 3:14 PM (in response to dr-md)

dan,

I do not know the difference between referenced and managed.   I have always just imported direct to aperture and the library has grown.

If the library has grown, then your library is probably a managed library.

The differece is the following:

• Managed library: Aperture stores the original image files inside the Aperture library package and manages them. This import mode is selected by setting the "Store files" selector in the Import Panel to "In the Aperture Library".
    • Referenced Library: You import with the  "Store files" selector set to "in their current location" or "choose". Then the originals are not imported but referenced outside. then you are responsible for managing the originals and taking care of not moving them or losing them. If referenced images are not in the location, where Aperture expects to find them, you will see exactly what you are seing now, and then this has to be repaired by using "locate referenced files" and pointing Aperture to the location of the images.

So, now the big question is, how did you import. Have you set the the "Store files" option to "Aperture library" when importing or "in their current location"?.

If you imported "managed", then your original image files should be in the "Masters " folder inside the Aperture Library package. Ctrl-click the package, select "show package contents" and open the folder "Masters". Are all your original images there?

Regards

• Frank Caggiano Level 7 Level 7 (22,830 points)
    Dec 6, 2012 6:14 PM (in response to dr-md)

Do you have another external drive big enough to hold your library (only temporally).

If you do have such a drive try to restore from TM to that drive and see if the symptoms change. I believe the problem is related to the fact that the internal drive was swapped out.

If the restore to the external goes OK you could then copy the library to the internal drive if that is what you want to do.

regards

Dec 7, 2012 8:24 AM (in response to dr-md)

Aperture Library file size went from 145gb to 10gb!

That may have been caused by your trying to solve the problem by using the "Relocate Originals" command:

I have tried everything that I can find in the manual or in these discussion boards, including File\Relocate Originals

Relocate will remove the original image files to a folder outside the Aperture library. When using thsi command, you will have been asked for a folder where to move the files to. Do you remember the folder you selected? You may find your most recent images there.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.