Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the Time Capsule/Time Machine backup process faster with Ethernet or wi-fi network?

I'm no expert/technician, just an average user.

I've had a TC for about a year now, and used it to simply backup my MBP on the wifi network of my ADSL modem (20 MB speed).

Some things I've been reading on here suggest that an Ethernet connection makes things faster, is that true?

Is there a consistent improvement in backup speed going from wifi to Ethernet cable on the TC?

I don't know much about the TC potential, as in creating or extending networks, clients, routers and stuff...as said I'm no expert at all!

Would it be better/more appropriate to use the TC with its own network, or connecting it via Ethernet to the modem existing one?

Speed isn't that bad, I have iPhone, Mac and TV all joined to the network, TC backing up, and still manage to like download movies pretty fast...

I prefer wifi it's more portable less cables and all, I'm just wondering if I'm sort of missing out on the TC.

Thank you. 🙂

Time Capsule 802.11n (4th Gen), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1), 2TB 

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 2:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 2:43 PM

Ethernet is rated at 1 Gb/s. Fast wireless is rated at 0.330 Gb/s. Ethernet is at least three times faster.

For further comparison:

Ethernet is almost as fast as USB 2.0.

Firewire 400 is about 20% faster than USB 2.0

Firewire 800 is about twice as fast as Firewire 400.

Suffice to say that backups over wireless to a Time Capsule is slow as molasses.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2012 2:43 PM in response to applewarm

Ethernet is rated at 1 Gb/s. Fast wireless is rated at 0.330 Gb/s. Ethernet is at least three times faster.

For further comparison:

Ethernet is almost as fast as USB 2.0.

Firewire 400 is about 20% faster than USB 2.0

Firewire 800 is about twice as fast as Firewire 400.

Suffice to say that backups over wireless to a Time Capsule is slow as molasses.

Dec 6, 2012 2:49 PM in response to Kappy

I imagined that. :/

It's too bad 'cause I find it so comfortable in wifi (not in a speed way, at this point, more like less cables and all).

I had tried (my purpouse was different, but endend up doing that) to connect it to my modem via Ethernet and use it in bridge mode to backup not via wifi anymore, but it didn't work, the disk was always not available, despite it being all green lights and ok according to AirPort Utility.

I wouldn't know where to begin to go to Ethernet for good, but I'm starting to think wifi backups are kind of a waste. ://

Would it be different if I connected the TC to my Mac instead of my router/modem? D:

Dec 6, 2012 3:03 PM in response to applewarm

The "normal" setup is:

1. Ethernet cable connects the Time Capsule to your cable/DSL modem.
  2. Ethernet devices should be connected to the Time Capsule via Ethernet cable.
  3. Wireless devices will connect to the Time Capsule wirelessly.

Your cable/DSL device should be only a modem. Not a modem/gateway-router device.

Dec 6, 2012 3:06 PM in response to Kappy

Ok so TC to modem (guess it's a simple ADSL modem nothing tricky I don't use routers and stuff) via Ethernet cable, then what do I do to "update" the TC from wifi to Ethernet connection? I've decided to go ETH I'm abandoning wifi backups. I'm on ML and 4th gen TC if it helps. AirPort is the latest version I suppose...

Dec 6, 2012 3:16 PM in response to applewarm

Wireless and wired work simultaneously if both are turned on. You will find a user manual to download at support.apple.com/manuals/. The simplest thing to do is probably just reset your Time Capsule to factory defaults. As the router you configure the computer via Network preferences.

How to verify or erase a Time Capsule disk

Resetting an AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule FAQ

Restoring files from a Time Capsule backup

Backing up with Time Capsule for the first time

AirPort Utility 6.x- Set up a new AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule

AirPort Utility 6.x- Set DHCP options for your base station or your Time Capsule

OS X Mountain Lion- Set up a printer to print wirelessly

Is the Time Capsule/Time Machine backup process faster with Ethernet or wi-fi network?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.