Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Match sequence settings to clip settings should avoid rendering, right?

I drag my media to my timeline and that helpful pop-up stops and asks to match the sequence settings to the clip settings. I say yes, and because the two now match perfectly, this should eliminate the need to render --- right??

I've tried to match the squence before dropping in my media, but can't seem to find the right settings myself.

User uploaded file

I can't waste time rendering. Please, any help on this is greatly appreciated!

Final Cut Pro 7, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 3:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 4:58 PM

H.264 isn't a codec that allows for any realtime anything. It's not one that FCP works with well at all. You need to convert that footage to ProRes NTSC, then bring it into the project.

Or...

Use Adobe Premiere Pro that can deal with this natively.

17 replies

Dec 7, 2012 7:17 AM in response to Shane Ross

wonderful. I'm working on a project for a client and someone in their AV department specified that videos needed to be 4:3 at H.264. I've never had so many problems with a format or codecs before, I really don't know what the best solution is to make editing efficient and keep the quality high with the specified formats. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dec 7, 2012 10:53 AM in response to GoSloan

Update:

I downloaded the Pavtube HD Video Converter App (it costs $35, but it seems worth it). It has a setting menu specefic to mediums; one for Finalcut Pro that includes an option for Apple ProRes. I used the ProRes HQ setting and left the size as original (remember I captured in 4:3). When I put into Finalcut, however, I get a message that says it is not optimized for Finalcut and, once again, I have a rendering issue. However, if I go back to Pavtube and export again, this time changing the ProRes options to resize at 1920x1080, I can import into Finalcut with no problem and no rendering. The catch is that in Finalcut, my video is now stretched to fit widescreen and unfortunately the 1920x1080 is the only size I've been able to export as and then import into FCP without any problems. This is resolved when I export using quicktime convesion and set the size back to 4:3 (shown in screen shot), but brings up another problem - squished text.

Just now seeing other posts to my questions...I will try those suggestions. Thank you! User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Dec 7, 2012 12:31 PM in response to Michael Grenadier

Michael, I can't thank you enough!

Compressor worked like a charm - I've included a screen shot of the settings I used; please let me know if they should be tweaked any way for higher quality. The clips exported in the .mov format and when I dropped it into a new FCP sequence, no need to render and it's the correct 4:3 ratio!

Thank you all for your time and help! Saved me from a very bad headache! User uploaded file

Dec 10, 2012 8:47 AM in response to Russ H

I'm previewing the orignal .AVI files and they look terrible. Now I'm panicked that the quality of the orignal video is bad, which doesn't make sense to me how that's possible on such a great camera. The video of course looked clear as a day in the camera previewer; I'm hoping the grain I'm seeing is just due to the file format in preview?

Match sequence settings to clip settings should avoid rendering, right?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.