Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

who is 10.0.1.3 wireless client in my time capsule

I use my time capsule as a router and there is this wireless client 10.0.1.3 along with all others (which are known to me), except this one.

How can I find out who is this, or what is it? 😕

I have AirPort Express connected to TC too, but it shows separately in the AirPort Utility.

User uploaded file

MacBook 5,1

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 7:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 7:16 PM

Power off the wireless devices that you can identify, then check around to find the other wireless devices that you have. It might be another computer, printer, iPhone, etc.

Some folks have a thermostat hooked up to the wireless, some have wireless to a satellite receiver or TV, etc.

If you still cannot identify the device, click on 10.0.1.3 for more information. Is there a hardware address there? It will look like xx : xx : xx : xx: xx : xx

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2012 7:16 PM in response to a lake

Power off the wireless devices that you can identify, then check around to find the other wireless devices that you have. It might be another computer, printer, iPhone, etc.

Some folks have a thermostat hooked up to the wireless, some have wireless to a satellite receiver or TV, etc.

If you still cannot identify the device, click on 10.0.1.3 for more information. Is there a hardware address there? It will look like xx : xx : xx : xx: xx : xx

Dec 6, 2012 7:49 PM in response to a lake

I did not want you to divulge the hardware address for security reasons.

Use this link to type in the hardware address and find out who the manufacturer of the device might be:

http://curreedy.com/stu/nic/

If you do not own this device, you may have an unwanted guest on your network. Change your wireless network name and password as soon as possible.

Dec 6, 2012 8:12 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hey Bob,

Thank you for your prompt help.

It is Apple, but how can I now identify what is it? I have all my Apple devices now off - ipads and iphones. I don't posess any other Apple devices (except my macbook, the tc and the airport express). And I did create the network today with a new password. Changing again the name and password of the network?

I disabled now the file sharing as the time capsule was showing in the sharing folder in finder.

But the TC still shows that client there.

I am at lost.

Dec 6, 2012 8:36 PM in response to a lake

Power off the entire network....all devices....in any order that you wish when you go to bed tonight.

In the morning, power up the modem first and let it run a minute by itself

Power up the next device connected to the modem the same way

Power up the next, etc.

Keep powering up devices one at a time until the network is back up

Check things again.

Dec 6, 2012 8:45 PM in response to a lake

The TC will retain the client's IP address until its DHCP lease expires, or you cycle its power.

If you had a visitor with an iPhone or iPad or iPod Touch the TC will remember its IP address long after he's gone. Don't forget the guest network - if you enabled it, it's open.

"Ping" that address using Terminal - if the client is no longer present you will get 100% packet loss so that was likely the source of this mystery. On the other hand if you get returns the times shown may be useful.

Dec 6, 2012 8:52 PM in response to John Galt

Thanks, John.

I do not use AirPort Utility 6.1 that much, but the Wireless Clients displayed there seem to appear and disappear quickly.

For example, if my iPhone is active, it shows up as a Wireless Client. If the iPhone "sleeps", the iPhone is no longer displayed under Wireless Clients.

It comes right back up though, and is displayed again as a Wireless Client as soon as it is active again.

There is no area in AirPort Utility that will display DHCP Clients or leases, so its not possible to use AirPort Utility 6.1 like AirPort Utility 5.6 in this respect.

Interested in your thoughts.

Dec 6, 2012 9:03 PM in response to Bob Timmons

There is no area in AirPort Utility that will display DHCP Clients or leases, so its not possible to use AirPort Utility 6.1 like AirPort Utility 5.6 in this respect.

😢

That's a problem. Unfortunately I am at a loss to explain this also. I was comparing AU 6.1's information to the comparable information available in AU 5.6. In my case I have the DHCP lease time set to a week, so I still show entries in the client table for devices that have been off for days.

Most Apple devices use the optional DHCP client name, certainly newer ones do, the only ones that do not are early iPhones and iPods which is the reason I suspected them.

I'm interested to know if pinging the address results in anything.

Dec 7, 2012 6:59 AM in response to John Galt

I have a hunch that the new AirPort Express there was set up using wireless with AirPort Utility and it is still showing as a wireless client for some reason...even though it now appears to be connected using Ethernet.

If the mystery device shows up after the power down and the hardware address of the 10.0.1.3 device matches the hardware address of the AirPort Express, we may have an answer.

Dec 8, 2012 11:16 AM in response to a lake

OK Bob/John,

Sorry for this long post - and thank you so much for your thoughts and time.

It still shows that 10.0.1.3 wireless client. But now I think it could be my MacBook as the 10.0.1.3 wireless client on the TC has the same hardware address (xx:xx:xx...) as the one that shows in my System Information panel in the Network/Locations folder under the Wi-Fi Hardware (MAC) Address - see screen shots.

Bottom line - 10.0.1.3 could be my MacBook, but is it really - I am not that tech savvy?

If it is - where can I go and rename it so it shows my MacBook name?

Anyway, I am going to tell you what I did if this is relevant for anything you were wondering about. Otherwise you don't have to read the statements below.

Bob said:

Power off the entire network....all devices....in any order that you wish when you go to bed tonight.

In the morning, power up the modem first and let it run a minute by itself

Power up the next device connected to the modem the same way

Power up the next, etc.

Keep powering up devices one at a time until the network is back up

------->

I did that this morning.

John said:

The TC will retain the client's IP address until its DHCP lease expires, or you cycle its power.

If you had a visitor with an iPhone or iPad or iPod Touch the TC will remember its IP address long after he's gone. Don't forget the guest network - if you enabled it, it's open.

"Ping" that address using Terminal - if the client is no longer present you will get 100% packet loss so that was likely the source of this mystery. On the other hand if you get returns the times shown may be useful.

-------->

I have AU 6.1 and it shows on the TC in the Internet Tab option for "Renew DHCP Lease", but I haven't touched it yet, as I don't know what exactly to do. However, I did cycle power the modem.

And yes, I had visitor a while back (approx. 4 weeks ago) - he has an iPad and and an iPhone too. Both were not on my WiFi though. They were on my Wi-Fi before that - around 8 weeks ago. But at that time I had a different ISP. I don't know if that's important to be mentioned.

Guest Newtwork is disabled.

John, I don't know how to "ping" any address in Terminal. Which address are you referring to?

Bob is right - iPhones and iPads come and go as wireless clients depending on sleep/power off or when they are not on any Wi-Fi but on their celular network.

John, Yes, all screen shots are from my MacBook 13" AL, late 2008 (yes, I know it is old) running on Mac Lion v.10.7.5.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Dec 8, 2012 11:43 AM in response to a lake

Way back when, we asked you to identify all the wireless devices on your network and match them up with AirPort Utility. In other words, if you saw 4 wireless clients in AirPort Utility, you should have had 4 wireless clients operating.

If you matched up the iPhones and iPads, etc.....but not your Mac.....then your Mac is the 10.0.1.3 wireless client. It has to be if it is connected to wireless and you have accounted for all the other wireless devices that we asked about.

We....or at least I.....had understood from your info that you had matched up all of your wireless devices and there was still yet another 10.0.1.3 that could not be accounted for.

Try the following to see if the Mac will display it's name in AirPort Utility

On the Mac....

Open System Preferences (gear icon on the dock)

Open Network

Click on WiFi on the left

Click Advanced at the lower right

Click the TCP/IP tab

Type in a name for the Mac in the DHCP Client ID box

Click OK, then click Apply

You may need to restart the Time Capsule and your Mac to see if the changes "take". This may or may not work....or may work some of the time, but not all of the time.

who is 10.0.1.3 wireless client in my time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.