Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot reinstall snow leopard from recovery disc

Hello!

I am trying to reinstall Snow Leopard from my recovery disc, and, keep getting an error about the drive needs to be changed to Raid. Any idea what may be going on. I just want to install over current Snow Leopard to repair it.

IMAC Intel, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 6, 2012 6:34 PM

3 replies

Dec 6, 2012 7:37 PM in response to ds store

I am trying to reinstall Snow Leopard over my current disc as it appears to be corrupt. When I boot from the recovery discc, I choose reinstall Snow Leopard, and receive the following error.

" This disc doesn't use the GUID Partition Table scheme. Use disc utilityto change the Partition scheme. Select the disc, choose the partition tab, select the volume schemeand then click options."

I have tried to do this with no luck. I keep getting an error stating it cannot unmount disc.

Dec 6, 2012 8:44 PM in response to Jerry LaBrecque

Just to double check,

1: you are hold c or option/alt key booted from the 10.6 disk that came with your machine

2: you are in Disk Utility and you have selected the drive makers name and disk size on the left

3: you attempt to click Partition tab, click on the big box, select 1 partition, select option: GUID and format OS X exteneded Journaled and it reports "can't unmount disk"

4: you do have no other drives connected to the machine

If that's all true, then you need to quit Disk Utility and use Terminal and try to force unmount the disk

http://macosx.com/forums/mac-os-x-system-mac-software/309784-official-mac-os-x-1 0-6-snow-leopard-thread-faq-33.html

Once the drive is unmounted, then hopefully you should be able to format it in Disk Utility

cannot reinstall snow leopard from recovery disc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.