Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade to Server 2.2 Broke Profile Manager

After upgrading to Server 2.2, the profile manager started showing the "Error Reading Settings" message.

In the error logs I'm seeing tons of database migration errors.

Dec 7 07:02:06 home.veenendaal.co ProfileManager[1402]: Retry #3 of database migration...

Dec 7 07:02:07 home.veenendaal.co ProfileManager[1402]: Retry #4 of database migration...

Dec 7 07:02:09 home.veenendaal.co ProfileManager[1402]: devicemgrd: Terminating on unhandled exception Rake command failed with 256 at /Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/webserver/devi cemgrd:276:in `Rake'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/webserver /devicemgrd:230:in `SetupRails'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/webserver /devicemgrd:158:in `Run'

/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/webserver /devicemgrd:851

Dec 7 07:02:09 home com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.devicemanager[1402]): Exited with code: 1

I tried to restart the profile manager database, but keep getting this error when I run "/Applications/Server.app/Contents/ServerRoot/usr/share/devicemgr/backend/wipeD B.sh"

/usr/bin/rake:31

Couldn't create database for {"encoding"=>"UTF8", "host"=>"/Library/Server/PostgreSQL For Server Services/Socket", "username"=>"_devicemgr", "pool"=>5, "database"=>"device_management", "adapter"=>"postgresql"}

devicemgr:state = "STARTING"

Apple TV (3rd generation), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 5:05 AM

7 replies

Dec 8, 2012 8:33 PM in response to Mountainboy

I finally got it back to a working state. I followed these steps:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4160366?start=0&tstart=0

Look about half way down, under

Perpetually Perplexed

The Fix:

1. Close Server.app

2. Library/Server make a copy of Server (Server.backup)

3. Delete Server.app and reinstall.

4. Start new setup and it will migrate properly with no errors. This time a big green tick will appear!

The only data loss was in iCal service (resources and locations are gone). Everything else seems to fine.

Dec 11, 2012 12:30 AM in response to veenendaal

For anyone affected by these problems, please check /var/log/system.log to see if there are errors similar to these:

Dec 11 00:21:02 hostname com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.postgres[3071]): Exited with code: 1

Dec 11 00:21:02 hostname com.apple.launchd[1] (com.apple.postgres): Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

We need to narrow down the issues here to either a Profile Manager (or Wiki, or Calendar Server) problem, or a problem with the underlying postgres database cluster that these services use. Also please see my post on https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4581564?answerId=20545815022#20545815022 for a number of other things that you can check to help narrow down the problem. Thanks.

Upgrade to Server 2.2 Broke Profile Manager

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.