Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I stop pop ups

I have checked the box in Safari preferences to block pop up windows but I still keep getting annoying ads and survey requests. How can I prevent these?

imac 17 inch, Mac OS X (10.5.6), Leopard

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 3:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 4:30 AM

go to Safari, click on reset Safari, and only check Remove all website data. That may help.

11 replies

Dec 7, 2012 5:34 AM in response to jonezee

Glimmerblocker is fine with Ads and pop ups but does not stop pop unders. They tell you this. Safari ad block should always be enabled.

But there are ads, pop ups and malicious pop ups. If you find yourself with the latter they will probably be selling you 'improvements' or otherwise for your Mac.

Don't click. Copy the address into your Google Browser and investigate. If necessary write in here and ask us.

Incidentally, you should bring your profile up to date; you currently claim10.5.6 ... but other parts show 10.5.8.

Regards.

Dec 8, 2012 9:14 AM in response to Klaus1

Thank you for your reply. I have downloaded andinstalled Ghostery extension, but I am not sure how to proceed. I can see there are a number of options in the top right hand corner of my screen, and I have been able to look at the ghostery options. However they don't mean very much to me and I am confused over what to do next. I am not sure which boxes to check or uncheck because I don't understand the terminology. All I want to do is block the pop up windows that occur whenever I am playing games online as they are obscurring my view. Thanking you for your valuable advise.

Dec 8, 2012 3:38 PM in response to jonezee

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions. Click on the Ghostery icon. Click on the box to access Ghostery’s option.

A Safari window will open showing those options. Tick the box Enable GhostRank.

Under General Options only tick the box Enable bug list auto-updating

Under Blocking Options tick the box Enable bug blocking.

That it’s it. Now click on Save.

Now open a Safari window and click on View in the menu bar. Click on Customize Toolbar.. Make sure the Ghostery icon is on your Toolbar (I put mine in the top lefthand corner).

Job done. You will no longer be tracked by advertisers who, on some websites, launch pop-ups. Whenever you go to a website you will see a red number on the Ghostery icon in your toolbar: that shows how many tracking devices that have been prevented from tracking you.

Second stage of pop-up prevention (which I forgot to mention):

Download and install GlimmerBlocker: from

http://glimmerblocker.org/

(Make sure you choose the correct version for your system).

Once installed, you will find its Preference Pane as an icon in System Preferences. Click on it.

Under Setup tick the box Activate GlimmerBlocker

Under filters, tick the following boxes only:

Ad-networks

My untitled filter

Site-specific ad-removal

Site enhancements.

From now on you will not see any, or a very few, pop-up advertisements on any website.

Dec 8, 2012 5:28 PM in response to Klaus1

Thank you so much Klaus. I have done all you said althoughthere wasn't a box to check under blocking options for enable bug blocking. And when I installed glimmer-blocker under filters there was no' My untitled filter' to check. There was' Intrusive/fragile ad filtering' should I check this?

It is very late now and I have not tried it out, but I have great hopes that all will be well.

Once again thank you for your advise.

Dec 11, 2012 9:53 AM in response to jonezee

(Make sure you chose the correct version for your system).

Once installed, you will find its Preference Pane as an icon in System Preferences. Click on it.

Under Setup tick the box Activate GlimmerBlocker

Under filters, tick the following boxes only:

Ad-networks

My untitled filter

Site-specific ad-removal

Site enhancements.

From now on you will not see any, or a very few, pop-up advertisements on any website.

How can I stop pop ups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.