Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What Hardware & Software to record a Mac’s video output 1:1 on another Mac?

I’m trying to find a way to record a Mac Pro’s uncompressed video output signal to another Mac and record it there by connecting two Macs. I’m not looking for Screen Capture software to use on the same machine I work on.

Specifically I want to record on machine B what would usually be my 2nd monitor on machine A. Machine A is a Mac Pro, Machine B could be another Mac Pro or a Thunderbolt Mac (iMac etc.).

Is this possible at all and what hardware do I need and what software? Has anyone achieved this yet? I could only find pre-HD solutions with FireWire or converting the HDMI signal to alaogue etc. Thank you for any suggestions.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6)

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 7:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 2:03 PM

A little more information would be helpful.

What resolution/frame rate are you trying to capture? Something like 1080p is much easier then say 1680x1050 or 1600x1200.

If you are capturing a standard HDMI resolution the Blackmagic Intensity Pro might suit your needs.

2 replies

What Hardware & Software to record a Mac’s video output 1:1 on another Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.