Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HOW do I import files from Aperture into FCPX??

This used to be soooo simple but no longer works! Can anyone tell me how I might still be able to import a bunch of clips at once from Aperture into FCPX?? Why Apple has to "fix" what isn't broken is beyond me!!

Mac OS X (10.7.3), 2.66 Ghz Quad Core, Lion 10.7.3

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 8:40 AM

15 replies

Dec 7, 2012 10:50 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Not sure what I'm doing? I'm trying to import media, all at once into the event library. I am either right-clicking in the event library or using the "import media" tab (just as I used to be able to do) and from there TRYING to navigate to Aperture and import all of my clips and stills at once. With the new "media import" window though I am now no longer able to navigate to Aperture, it is always greyed out. I don't want every clip and still to go into the storyline, I want to be able to select them, one by one, determine in and out points and THEN send them to the storyline. I would also like to be able to select whether or not I want audio, video or both. As I've stated, this USED to be very straightforward, but not anymore and now it appears that I have to once again change my workflow!

Dec 7, 2012 12:29 PM in response to Andy Drefs

The import window has not been how to do this from day one.

Go to the photos browser in the right-hand section of the tool bar. You can access your Aperture library directly from there.

It sounds like you're importing video from Aperture, not photos. Why not pull those videos directly into FCP X and skip Aperture?

Dec 7, 2012 4:31 PM in response to Andy Drefs

Your discription says you use the Import window. Sort of a lot of work to get to photos in an Aperture library. The photo browser is much faster.

What else might one use the import window for? Video files, audio files, graphic files, that are not in libraries that are much easier to get to via the browser windows.

So you navigated the Import window to the Aperture library, and went inside of the Aperture library?

Dec 7, 2012 10:11 PM in response to Andy Drefs

If I might try to add to the discussion. I am going to give a shot at explaining my understanding of an associated point. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Much of FCPx itself was at first seen as "fixing what ain't broken". Some still feel that way. FCPx is built on a database like foundation identifying assets and labelling them and recording algorithms that make changes to video and record keywords and on and on.

Aperture approaches the database structure by enclosing the images within a container and files are scurried away into a folder structure created by the database.

By importing through the photo browser you allow FCP to speak more directly to Aperture. They are coded to communicate properly.

If the ability to Import Aperture images has been elliminated I would it could (no real idea) well be associated with a decision to not play work-around with attempting to access and logically identify files within a containter structure like those used by Aperture.

There are, in my opionion, all sorts of issues that arise when you use a contatiner structure like Aperture does and if, in fact, it is part of the issue here, it wouldn't surprise me.

I did a very brief web search and found an post that seems to exemplify some potential issues when you wish to describe a path to a file in an Aperture master file.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2804695?start=0&tstart=0

bet when you get used to the photo browser (if you do) you'll be a happy camper

Dec 8, 2012 12:44 AM in response to digibudII

1. The soultion to the problem is to use the Media Browser.

2. Aperture doesn't enclose the images within a container, they are not "scurried away" anywhere that you don't tell it. It puts the files exactly where you decide in the import window. Within the container, anywhere else, you choose.

3. The importance of using the Media Browser is because Aperture (and iPhoto) use enormous amounts of virtualisation as they work. So, if you edit a shot with Aperture all that happens is... a text file gets updated with a list of your decisions. Regardless of where you store your original master file, there is no edited file to access at all. There is no edit, just your decisions in the database. That's lossless processing. So, now you see why FCPX (or anything else) can't link to the edited file. There isn't one.

4. Using the Media Browser gets you to the Preview in Aperture. That's a handy "good-for-most-things" shortcut to save you having to export every single image everytime you need one. But you can still export, and export with many more options, rather than use the Preview. You can also choose to not generate previews, or to not share them with the Media Browser system. All of these are settings on your Aperture preferences.

5. But the takeaway point: you can't link to an edited image in Aperture, because there is no such file. That's why you use the Media Browser.

Regards

TD

Dec 8, 2012 5:35 AM in response to AppleMan1958

It is really frustrating when someone jumps in at the end of a series of posts without reading what has been discussed. With that said I AM FULLY AWARE OF THE PHOTO IMPORT FUNCTION IN FCPX.

I am trying to figure out how to import ALL my media from aperture into the event library NOT a clip at a time onto the storyline! I used to be able to do this but no longer can.

This apparently will not work any longer so this discussion has run its course.

Dec 8, 2012 6:38 AM in response to Andy Drefs

I figured out the answer to your question. You can transfer multiple photos from Aperture into an Event. And it is pretty slick. And you do it through the Photo Browser. I have not tested it with video in Aperture, because I do not keep video in Aperture. But it probably works, but in any event it works great for photos.

There is a trick to this, that I have not seen documented anywhere, but sometimes having a knowledge of how iMovie works comes in handy.

To do this there are three key components.

1) In the FCPX Photo Browser, you can select not only individual photos - you can select entire projects by going to the Project view and dragging in the whole project. In the Project view of the photo browser, you will see your projects as a box that you can skim to see the contents. You can drag this whole box into FCPX all at once.

2) But the entire Aperture project level may not be what you want. What you might really want to import is an Aperture Album, Smartalbum, or Faces or Places selection. You can do this also, but not by dragging in the icon. In this case, you click on the Album (for example) in the Photo Browser. There will be a check mark next to it, and the album will open. You can select one photo. You can select multiple photos in the album by command clicking. And you can select the entire album by clicking one photo (so the photo browser has the focus) and then hitting Command-A to select All. Now you can drag all that you have selected into your FCPX event.

User uploaded file

3) This is the key part. So you create a new Event in FCPX. It will come up with a blank event, and it will invite you to "Import Media". However, you cannot drag stuff there from the Photo Browser. However, you CAN drag to the Event Name over in the Event Library List. You drag either your Project or your selected photos from an Album, SmartAlbum, Faces or Places and drop it on the Event Name in the Event Library. Your cursor should show the green + sign to indicate that you are over a valid dropzone. Done.

User uploaded file

4) If you prefer to use Aperture itself rather than the Photo Browser, this also works. You select your Project, Album, etc. Then Command click or Command-A to select the contents of the Album you want. Then drag to FCPX and drop on the Event name.

Dec 8, 2012 9:59 AM in response to Andy Drefs

"However, you cannot drag stuff there from the Photo Browser."

Not true. You can in fact drag one or more photos from the photo browser directly into an Event. I do it all the time. I just did it. Comand-click a few photos, drop them either directly into the Event, or directly into the Timeline. Going to the Timeline also copies it into the Default Event.

HOW do I import files from Aperture into FCPX??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.