Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

chart function worked, then grayed out

I have a spreadsheet with about 800 rows and analyzing text data using countifs. I've already done a bunch of charts this way, just tried one and got a nice stacked column chart but it did not have the axes labeled. I looked at the way I had done previous charts and then included the axis titles in the range I selected to make the chart. Now ALL my chart functions are grayed out and I cannot make a chart!! I cannot even make a chart with a simple selection of table number values without the axis labels. What is going on??

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 9:00 AM

4 replies

Dec 7, 2012 4:19 PM in response to Jerrold Green1

THanks - I'm embarrassed to say I was actually using the wrong button - going to the top chart menu rather than using the chart button in the tools menu first. When I figured that out, it worked. Also, I know they say that about header rows and columns, but I have never designated header rows and columns and the charts always label correctly for me. Perhaps the default is for charts to assume that the top row and leftmost column is a header...

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Dec 7, 2012 10:03 PM in response to KGE33

Hi KG,

The default behavioour is for the 'Blank' templates to produce a document with a single sheet, containing a single table. The table has one header row and one header column.

The charts don't assume anything regarding the top row or left column of the selected range.

If the left column is a Header column, then the chart is able to, and will use the entries in that column as labels.If it is not a Header column, the chart will not use those entries as labels. The case for the top row is similar. No assumption is involved in either case.

Regards,

Barry

chart function worked, then grayed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.