Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Since I let my G4 Powerbook's battery run down, I hear a loud CLICK SOUND at regular intervals, that I never heard before. It sounds like a back-up click. Is this a problem?

After letting my PowerBook G4's battery run down all the way, I hear a loud metalic CLICK sound every so often. Not sure if this is a problem or not. Should I be worried, or have it checked out?

PowerBook G4, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 1.67 GHz Memory 2GB DDR SDRAM

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 10:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 4:00 PM

Can you isolate where on the Powerbook the sound is coming from? If it's from above the hard drive, it would be cause for concern.

4 replies

Dec 7, 2012 6:28 PM in response to BGreg

BGreg:

Thank you for the response. The click sounds like it's coming from the left side, of the bottom half of the laptop, under the surface, or under where my left wrist is positioned when I am typing. It's possible I'm hearing it through the speaker on the left. I was trying to time the clicks, but ran out of patience after 4 minutes. Is there anything I can do to trouble shoot it? Thanks-

Dec 7, 2012 7:20 PM in response to hilltop

If it's not the original PowerBook, and you have the original OS X disks that came with your PowerBook, run the Apple Hardware Test. If it's the first PowerBook, the Apple Hardware Test is available online.

When prompted, run the extended test. Depending on how much memory you have in the system, the test can take an hour or more.

TechTool Deluxe or Pro can do similar testing, too.

You're looking to see if it gives you any error messages about the hardware in your system.

Since I let my G4 Powerbook's battery run down, I hear a loud CLICK SOUND at regular intervals, that I never heard before. It sounds like a back-up click. Is this a problem?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.