Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail does not work when filters are enabled

When the filters (virus, blacklists and junk mail) are enabled, mail is not passed through and just sits in the queue. Only when those are disabled will mail go through. It does not matter if one, all or any combination are enabled, it still does not work.

iMac, OS X Server

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 12:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 10, 2012 2:56 AM

Chances are, amavisd (the content filter) is not starting up. Have a look in /Library/Logs/Mail/amavis.log and /var/log/mail.log. There should be some clues as to why it doesn't work.

5 replies

Dec 11, 2012 5:18 AM in response to pterobyte

@pterobyte - Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I have finally solved my problems after checking out the logs that you suggested.

After looking at the amavis log, I saw the following -

"(!!)TROUBLE in pre_loop_hook: db_init: BDB no dbS: __fop_file_setup: Retry limit (100) exceeded, File exists. at (eval 85) line 324."

The line above it was trying to create a db file -

"Creating db in /Library/Server/Mail/Data/scanner/amavis/db/; BerkeleyDB 0.49, libdb 4.7"

After googling the information that I now had, I found out to delete the .db files in /Library/Server/Mail/Data/scanner/amavis/db/.

Here are the steps that I took to fix after the information that I had:

1. stopped mail server by running sudo serveradmin stop mail

2. deleted (or moved them, in my case) all .db files from /Library/Server/Mail/Data/scanner/amavis/db/

3. enabled AV, spam and junk filters in the server app

4. started mail server by running sudo serveradmin start mail

5. Once the mail service started back up I reloaded postfix by running postfix reload

*Note that anybody doing this, you will need root access to perform some of these tasks.

Mail does not work when filters are enabled

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.