Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to setup TC with ethernet to existing router.

Hi,

What I am trying to do is use TC strictly as a backup device for time machine.

I am trying to do the follwoing setup.

I want to connect tc to my wireless router using ethernet cable(so my time machine backups do not take days). After doing this, Airport utility will only recognize the TC if my mac has WIFI enabled. How do I force it such the TC is only using the ethernet and not WIFI.

Thanks and I look forward to your reply.

...Bruce

2TB 4th gen Time Capsule-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 11:00 AM

10 replies

Dec 7, 2012 11:53 AM in response to BGmail

Sorry for the bad link. If you want to set the device into Bridge Mode then you have to run an Ethernet cable from the Time Capsule to one of the open LAN ports on your regular router, then set the Time Capsule to Join an existing network. A better solution is simply replace your old router with the Time Capsule.

Dec 7, 2012 1:13 PM in response to BGmail

Use it in its factory default state. I'm assuming you will have removed the router currently connected to your cable modem. If you actually have a modem/gateway-router, then you cannot replace that router with the Time Capsule as a router.

Ethernet is just faster than wireless. It doesn't make any difference how you connect the computer by Ethernet into your network. The speed difference is moving from wireless to Ethernet.

Dec 9, 2012 7:42 PM in response to Kappy

Hi, I'm actually researching to see if a TC will be a good choice for my configuration, I have the following hardware:

• Alcatel 3Ve.A2010TEL VDSL Modem
  • Linksys EA4500 router
  • iMac (1TB HD)
  • MacBook Pro (500GB HD)
  • Mini Server (500GB HD)
  • MacBook (250GB HD)
  • MacBook Air (128GB Flash)
  • 2 PCs with Windows 7 (250GB HD)
  • 1 Wireless Laser Printer
  • 2 iPad
  • 4 iPhone 5

The iMac, and Mini have external backup disc for Time Machine, but there is not enough capacity for their backups. So I want to know if a 3TB Time Capsul will be a solution for my setup, and if replacing my Linksys EA4500 router is needed or if runing the TC in Bridge mode will do.

Please any suggestion will be helpful before I invest purchasing the TC.

Thanks a lot,

Reinaldo Varela

How to setup TC with ethernet to existing router.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.