Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Column headings in iTunes

Does anyone know how to change the column headings in iTunes to something which more accurately describe music in the way it is usually described?

For a start there are millions of pieces of music which ARE NOT SONGS, they are purely instrumental peices of music.

Surely the most important things about any piece of music are its title, its composer, its performer(s).

Musicians perform, not artists they draw and paint, and what one earth is an "album artist"?

Then for works of music which have several parts e.g. Symphonies, & Sonatas it would be nice to if they were automatically kept in the order the composer intended them to be played, to change the order is like watching the last episode of a TV drama series first.

Then we have the absurd 'Genre" classification. Anyone who knows anything about music knows that classical music describes music written between 1750 and 1810, so Wagner, Debussy and Elgar for instance did NOT write classical music! It is no more difficult to tell 'classical' music from music of the suceeding 'romantic' period than it is to tell 'jazz' from "pop", so what's the problem here?

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 11:18 AM

1 reply

Dec 8, 2012 4:56 AM in response to jbs12345

SONGS is a pretty sloppy heading for what are technically TRACKS, I agree, but to have that changed you'll have to ask Apple nicely.

www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

I won't be drawn into a discussion about artists-vs-musicians, but (very broadly) Album Artist is the guy who issued the album and Artist is the guy who performs on a specific track.

Genre is free and open for you to use precisly as you will. I use the genre field widely (and often loosely) to help me find my way around my music collection. For example "African - Kenya" or "French 50's Pop". If you don't like what's there when you purchase a track, change it. (You notice that I'm also avoiding your "classical" trap).

Cheers 😉

Column headings in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.