Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Airport Extreme Flashing Yellow - 2Wire/Bridge Mode

Hey guys! I just bought a new Airport Extreme, only to discover that they are notorious for having connections issues with 2Wire modems (or vice-versa) which I have. I've already tried setting up the AE as a 'new' router, as a 'replacement' router - you name it, then I discovered that I need to set it up as a bridge. I tried what I think are the right steps, but no dice. It still flashes yellow. 😟

Can someone point me a step-by-step walkthrough of how to configure this guy in bridge mode with a 2Wire? I'm using a MBP with 10.7.5 on it to configure it, if it matters, and the 2Wire is used with AT&T 3Mb/s DSL service (not UVerse) and is about 4 years old.

Thanks in advance! 🙂

-J

Airport Extreme-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 11:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 2:48 PM

I suggest that you download and install AirPort Utility 5.6 for Mac OS X Lion since it will be easier to use that application to set up the AirPort Extreme.

Make sure that you have a good Ethernet cable on hand.

Perform a Factory Default Reset on the AirPort Extreme as follows:

Power down the Extreme by pulling the power cable from the back of the device

Wait a few minutes

Hold in the reset button first, and keep holding it in for an additional 9-10 seconds while you simultaneously plug the power back in to the AirPort Extreme

Release the reset button after the hold period and allow a full minute for the AirPort Extreme to restart

Connect the Ethernet cable from one of the LAN <-> ports on the 2-Wire gateway to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Extreme

Think about whether you want the 2-Wire to provide your wireless network or the Time Capsule. The reason for this is that two routers in close proximity will likely create some wireless interference effects between the networks.

Post back when you are ready to continue.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2012 2:48 PM in response to Jamey Ethridge

I suggest that you download and install AirPort Utility 5.6 for Mac OS X Lion since it will be easier to use that application to set up the AirPort Extreme.

Make sure that you have a good Ethernet cable on hand.

Perform a Factory Default Reset on the AirPort Extreme as follows:

Power down the Extreme by pulling the power cable from the back of the device

Wait a few minutes

Hold in the reset button first, and keep holding it in for an additional 9-10 seconds while you simultaneously plug the power back in to the AirPort Extreme

Release the reset button after the hold period and allow a full minute for the AirPort Extreme to restart

Connect the Ethernet cable from one of the LAN <-> ports on the 2-Wire gateway to the WAN "O" port on the AirPort Extreme

Think about whether you want the 2-Wire to provide your wireless network or the Time Capsule. The reason for this is that two routers in close proximity will likely create some wireless interference effects between the networks.

Post back when you are ready to continue.

Dec 7, 2012 4:14 PM in response to Jamey Ethridge

Sounds like you solved the issue on your own. Nice work.

I downloaded that older version of Airport Utility and reset the AE

It is not really "old", since it was released on the same day as AirPort Utility 6.0....and it is far more useful as a configuration utility. Unfortunately, the "new" AirPort Utility represents a huge step backward.

AirPort Utility 5.6 will also work in Mountain Lion. Just leave it in your Applications folder if you move to Mountain Lion.

Dec 7, 2012 5:25 PM in response to Jamey Ethridge

I really hate that 2Wire modem. Is there something that I can replace it with that will be better?

Check with your Internet Service Provider to see if they have another model that they could trade out for you. Unfortunately, you are often forced into having to use the ISP's products since they may not support other models.

If you are thinking of buying a new modem "off the shelf", you would want to check with the ISP first to make sure that they will support the product in the event of difficulties.

As you probably know, AirPort Utility 6.1 added virtually nothing to 6.0., so keep 5.6 handy. It is a far better product.

New Airport Extreme Flashing Yellow - 2Wire/Bridge Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.