Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Everything is going to get deleted after the latest update?

So today I decided to update my iPhone 4 with the latest software update (it had been available for like a month or so but I had just know decided to update it today.) Anyways, when I updated it I was at school and about 5 minutes after I had clicked the update the image came up with the usb cord connecting to iTunes, so I had figured, when I got home (about 4 hours later) I would just plug it into iTunes and it would finish the software update and everything would be good. So I didn't think much of it.

I just got home and plugged my iPhone into iTunes. It's name came up as "iPhone" instead of the name that I had named it over a year ago when I got it. I STILL didn't think much of it, but then when I clicked on my iPhone, it said "iTunes has detected a phone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes." So I clicked, "Ok." The only thing I could click was "Restore" and something came up that said, "Are you sure you want to restore this iPhone to it's factory settings? All of your media and other data will be erased, and the newest iPhone software will be installed. iTunes will verify the restore with Apple. After this process is complete, you will have the option to restore your contacts, calendars, text messages and other settings."

So I didn't click anything and disconnected my iPhone. I absolutely CANNOT lose my pictures. I have about 2,000. I don't care about text messages, calendars, or honestly anything else, (although if I could get them back, I'd obviously prefer that) but losing my pictures is not something I can do.

I don't have iCloud either because I had too much data for it to work on my phone.

What should I do to ensure nothing gets deleted and get my phone back to normal?

iPhone 4

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 1:54 PM

15 replies

Dec 7, 2012 4:21 PM in response to Annalise1998

Hi there,

I'm having the same problem... Except I've had the 'Squlite3_wal_checkpoint' error message on my computer (the last time I updated) which for the past 8 months hasn't let me connect to ITunes on my computer to update, sinc or backup data. Only on discovery of this wonderful discussion tool did I learn how to remove it. The irony being I removed the error message, installed the new updates and now can't access anything on my phone (meaning I can't get passed the ITunes logo with arrow and adaptor). I haven't yet clicked on Restore for fear of losing my contacts, calendars and messages which I cannot afford to lose.

Really fricken frustrating...

Dec 9, 2013 6:12 AM in response to Annalise1998

I had this same issue, and I am totally ******. Did everyone have to restore their phone after this update? I just applied it last night, figuring it would be benign, but apparently all of my stuff will be completel gone now. Very unhappy. I've been choosing not to back up most things to iCloud due to security reasons, though I guess I should've backed up to PC before applying the software update, but this hasn't been an issue ever before.

I'd really love a response from Apple about what the **** went on here. There was no warning about the need to completely reset my iPhone before even gaining use of it back. I am upset.

Dec 9, 2013 6:58 AM in response to Triene

The first step when you upgrade using iTunes is a backup. If you upgrade using iTunes immediately after the update finishes you are given the choice to restore that backup. If you restore it iTunes will then automatically sync your music, videos and apps (which are not part of the backup) back to your phone.

If you upgrade on the phone it will usually not cause any data loss, as it is just a patch to iOS, but if something goes wrong (e.g., lost Internet connection during the update) you may have to restore from a backup, so its a good idea to have backups on both your computer and iCloud.

Everything is going to get deleted after the latest update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.