Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos shown in the Package Contents are not visible in iPhoto.

I am using iPhoto '08 (7.1.5 (378)) and have suddenly found that the last 3 years worth of photos are not displayed in iPhoto while they are still visible in the Package Contents (using Finder). The folders (with event and image content) for 2012 through part 2009 are in Originals, Modified and Data but do not get picked up by the iPhoto application. I have backups upto April 2011 i.e. no backups for a considerable number of photos since April 2011.

I have searched previous discussions whereupon I have tried using the re-build option in iPhoto Library Manager (it re-builds with the photos missing) and all the re-build options available when launching iPhoto with the Option+Command keys pressed (with seemingly very little activity).

Has anyone had this problem? Have I missed a relevant discussion? Does anyone know how I can re-instate my missing photos and events in iPhoto?

Thank you in anticipation.

Martin

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.5.8), iPhoto 7.1.5

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 2:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 3:01 PM

When you repaired the libary did you check the option ot recover orphane3d photos in the iPhoto Library folder along with rebuilding the database file and repairing file permissions and?

User uploaded file

If that doesn't help the try the following:

Starting over from scratch with new library

Start over with a new library and import the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from your original library as follows:

1. Open the library package like this.

User uploaded file

2. Launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and, when asked, select the option to create a new library.

3. Drag the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from the open iPhoto Library package into the open iPhoto window.

User uploaded file

This will create a new library with the same Events (but not necessarily the same Event names) as the original library but will not keep the metadata, albums, books slideshows and other projects.

Note: your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.

OT

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2012 3:01 PM in response to MartinW88

When you repaired the libary did you check the option ot recover orphane3d photos in the iPhoto Library folder along with rebuilding the database file and repairing file permissions and?

User uploaded file

If that doesn't help the try the following:

Starting over from scratch with new library

Start over with a new library and import the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from your original library as follows:

1. Open the library package like this.

User uploaded file

2. Launch iPhoto with the Option key held down and, when asked, select the option to create a new library.

3. Drag the Originals (iPhoto 09 and earlier) or the Masters (iPhoto 11) folder from the open iPhoto Library package into the open iPhoto window.

User uploaded file

This will create a new library with the same Events (but not necessarily the same Event names) as the original library but will not keep the metadata, albums, books slideshows and other projects.

Note: your current library will be left untouched for further attempts at a fix if so desired.

OT

Dec 7, 2012 3:54 PM in response to Old Toad

Thank you for such a prompt response. I have several further questions ...

Yes I did check the recover orphaned photos. Should I have done so? Or should I have left it unchecked as shown?

With your second fix, can I, instead, drop lower down the folder tree and just import selected event folders into a copy of the current database so I can retain the modifications on photos prior to those that were lost?

Isn't there a way to rebuild the control files (.xml etc) from the contents of the source data folders (i.e. the Originals, Modified and Data folders)?

BTW I have nearly 10,000 photos, is there a limit?

Thank you for your help.

Dec 7, 2012 11:20 PM in response to MartinW88

Yes I did check the recover orphaned photos. Should I have done so? Or should I have left it unchecked as shown?

Yes you should have checked it.

, can I, instead, drop lower down the folder tree and just import selected event folders into a copy of the current database

The current database has lost these images, so it's basically now a damaged db. Why would you add new material to a db that you know is bad? It's just asking for trouble further down the line.

so I can retain the modifications on photos prior to those that were lost?

It won't do that. That information is gone with the record of the images in the db.

Isn't there a way to rebuild the control files (.xml etc) from the contents of the source data folders (i.e. the Originals, Modified and Data folders)?

No.

BTW I have nearly 10,000 photos, is there a limit?

With iPhoto 08: 250,000

Regards

TD

Dec 11, 2012 9:40 AM in response to MartinW88

You can try this:

1 - restore the library from just before it became corrupted. Select Save Both in the save option window.

2 - open the restored library with iPhoto.

3 - move the original library to the Desktop and open it with the Finder as shown below:

User uploaded file

3 - drag the Originals folder from the liblrary on the Desktop into the open iPhoto window. When asked if you want to import duplicates check NO and for NO all duplicates.

That will import all of the photos in the original library that are not in the restored library.

Photos shown in the Package Contents are not visible in iPhoto.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.