Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX Playback head slow in timeline? Using Proxies.

Im editing 5k footage shot on the Red Epic. I have a interview laid out in my timeline (or project) and I am going through and setting my "IN" and "OUT" marks and cutting using "APPLE-X". Also using "J" on keyboard to rewind to certain points where I want to mark my "IN" points. The footage runs great until I start cutting frequently. My playhead starts to be slower than the actual video playing back. So when I make my "IN" and "OUTS" and then cut, my edit is about 6 or 7 frames off. It seems as if the playhead is lagging or it is slowed. Every clip is converted to the 1080 proxies. I am not mixing footage formats. Im editing with the proxy setting enabled. I am cutting from a GTECH Firewire 800 Drive. Here are my computer specs:

MAC PRO:

MAC OS X 10.6.8

Processor: 2 x 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon

Memory: 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

GFX: ATI Radeon HD 5870

Final Cut Pro X 10.0.6

Please let me know if you can help me.

Thanks

Elliot Pollaro

Final Cut Pro X, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 2:40 PM

14 replies

Dec 9, 2012 8:06 PM in response to epollaro

be sure there isn't anything else accessing your drive....file downloads....email auto checking...etc.

try seeing if the behaviour changes by alternating the preferences for playback, best performance vs high quality.

it's hard to understand why this would be an issue with proxy footage. enable the checkbox to warn you when drop frames occur. just to see...

does this only happen when editing 5k footage or can you reproduce it with other footage?

is it a fast 7200 rpm disk? might it be too full?

because you're using proxies, it sounds like something is slowing the hard drive down such that it's not accessing fast enough.

Dec 10, 2012 10:33 AM in response to digibudII

Its been set to best performance. The drive is a 2 TB G Tech G Raid 7200 RPM drive. There is 100 GB free of 2 TB. I have no dropped frames during the edit when I converted Canon 7D footage to a proxy. I enabled the drop frame check box and I do indeed get dropped frames from the 5k footage when it is a proxy. What can I do to fix this?

Dec 10, 2012 12:13 PM in response to epollaro

shouldn't need 70MB/sec for proxie...I wouldn't think. I get about 35MB/s from the external I use for FCPx. I don't do RED work but I also don't bother with proxies and edit directly in H264 on my 2011 iMac. The issue is either the graphics card or something quite odd with the HD transfer speed or something I'm entirely unaware of. Editing with a RED proxie....is that siginificantly more taxing than other proxies? I guess I don't know the answer to that question and have assumed that a proxie is a proxie...and if that's the case I'm also puzzled as to why a proxie would be hard for your system to deal with.

Dec 10, 2012 12:21 PM in response to digibudII

Some proxies are larger than others. For example we shot interviews and some of them have longer clips than others. Our RED Proxies are in between 150mb-500mb, where as if we were editing for lets say Canon 7d footage converted to proxy it would be around 15-50mb. Im not sure whats causing it, but I believe the workaround would be for me to edit off my server with the proxies. I just dont see a easy way of doing that. I really dont want to move my orginal RED files to our server.

Dec 10, 2012 3:17 PM in response to epollaro

I know you were not asking me, but all the reports I've heard about the 5870 and FCP have been positive.

On the other hand, I don't know enough about RED workflows to know whether the proxies and the card are a great match or just a fairly good match.

One thing that occurred to me is the project length could be an issue. Nearly everyone reports that after a certain point (say, >30 minutes) slows. It would be interesting to create a new test project (linked to the same event), select a ten minute section to paste into the new project and test whether FCP is more responsive.

Good luck.

Russ

FCPX Playback head slow in timeline? Using Proxies.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.