Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how can i hook up my computer to a tv to use a monitor?

i am teaching a software class and need to purchase an inexpensive tv to use as a tool to show the students what i'm doing on my screen. hope i'm making sense, and than

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.1)

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 2:46 PM

12 replies

Dec 7, 2012 9:45 PM in response to 1macprincess!

Yes, you should be able to do that. Many of the inexpensive TVs these days often have at least HDMI input, so you can buy a third-party Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter and an HDMI cable. Connect the adapter to the MBP and the cable from the adapter to the TV. If necessary, switch the TV to the HDMI input. Select mirroring in System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement and pick a mutually acceptable resolution. That should be it.

Jan 18, 2013 10:45 PM in response to 1macprincess!

There are many applicable adapters and adapter cables on Amazon, many more than the last time I looked.

One item that is new is an direct male-to-male Mini DisplayPort-to-HDMI cable. Originally the offerings were all Mini DisplayPort male to HDMI female, requiring a separate male-to-male HDMI cable as I described in my first post. Either way should work in principal if properly implemented.

I looked at one that used "Thunderbolt" in the item title. It said in the description that it also works with Mini DisplayPort also, as expected.

I cannot vouch for any specific adapters, though. (My MBP-R has an actual HDMI port, so I just use an HDMI cable.)

Jan 18, 2013 11:33 PM in response to markwmsn

Well I had decided to get he non retina mbp as I still wanted a built in DVD drive, but I guess it would have been. I've to have the HDMI port! :) I'm sure next time around none of the Mbps will have drives and the choice will be made for me.

I need to open the tv box ( its for work-I'm teaching a software class) but I'm sure it has an HDMI port on it. Would I need any other adapter if the cable says mini display thunderbolt port to HDMI-male to male?

how can i hook up my computer to a tv to use a monitor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.