Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

why can't i open a playlist in a new window with itunes 11?

so i can apparently no longer open a playlist in a new window... how am i supposed to drag & drop songs in the order i want them to play?

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 4:22 PM

48 replies

Dec 7, 2012 4:54 PM in response to n8zilla

Well, you can still do that, too.

Make sure you're viewing your library. Click Playlists on the bar at the top. Click the plus symbol to create a new playlist. You can drag songs you want into the list, and drop them where you'd like them as you build your list.

If you want to edit an existing list, then click on it, then "add to..." in the upper right.

I'm not sure this works with the sidebar turned, on, though. cmd + option + S to toggle it.

Dec 7, 2012 4:57 PM in response to Imp68

the point is that i can either view the list i'm making, or i can view the list with the song i want to drag over... i used to be able to see both. i also can no longer highlight a portion of the list and see how much time those particular songs add up to. these were useful features, and i'm not sure why they would be discarded.

Dec 9, 2012 8:46 AM in response to n8zilla

HELP !!

You are really being negative n8zilla. This way of making a playlist is BRILLIANT.

The new playlist is there on the riight the whole time. You can switch the source pane between SONGS, ALBUMS, GENRES, etc. You can move songs around in the new playlist and you have the number of songs and the total time right there in the heading where you can even edit the name.

C'mon now. Give me a little smile 😍

Dec 9, 2012 12:10 PM in response to kilima

i'm being negative because an extremely useful feature was discarded. as itunes won't allow me to look through my rather large collection of music in a sensible manner, i have to set up playlists & folders. i have over a thousand playlists... doing things the way itunes now forces me to is well nigh impossible.

maybe if they let me decide how i wanted to view things by genre, rather than rather stupid manner of alphabetical-by-album-title only. have the programmers of this thing never visited a record store? i know that's old fashioned, but some old things do make sense... like being able to view categories by genre/band/album.

si i achieved the sorting i need to be able to view my music in a sensible manner by using playlists. it used to be easy to make lists for a party or for a day's work. now it's not.

sorry to bring you down.

Dec 9, 2012 3:04 PM in response to n8zilla

I get your point and I was really just trying to break your sense of despair. It is easy to become overwhelmed when something big and new comes along. We all have our own ways of doing things which we become used to and ...... well you know what I mean.

Now, lets see if I can help you learn how to use this wonderful iTunes to get a grip on your music at a basic level.

Start by going to the SONGS pane. This is the workplace, the most powerful place to be for finding stuff, organising and maintaining your music. The other panes are the pretty places to go when you want to play and enjoy your collection after the work is done.

Make sure that you have the basic columns showing (View Menu, View Options). I suggest that essentially you should tick the following boxes :- Album, Artist, Checked, Genre, Time, Track Number, Year, Plays.

In the column for Album, if you repeatedly click in the heading, the heading will cycle thru Album/Album-by-Artist/Album-by-Artist-by-Year. Play with that a little and see what it does. Also note that every column can be sorted by clicking in the column heading. The column that you are currently sorted by is shown by a little up or down arrow.

Then turn on the Column Browser (View Menu) and check Genres, Artists Albums.

Now you have the tools to find and organise. You have the view-by-genre you wanted. You can select all genres or you can select one or many. Same for Artist. Same for Album. Your selections are reflected in the lower songs pane. The horizontal division between the Column Browser and the Songs can be raised/lowered by grabbing the top of the heading line.

Turn on the Status Bar (VIew Menu, Show Status Bar). The number of songs, the playtime and the disc space that your selection uses is shown here.

NOW you should be able to do just about anything. Enjoy 🙂

Dec 9, 2012 4:49 PM in response to n8zilla

Let me just say the posters on this board are always so helpful. Their time and effort is greatly appreciated. In regards to this matter, I must say I agree with n8zilla. The loss of the ability to open a second list window is an inconveinece to be sure. It was always so easy to cherry pick a new playlist in one window while you browsed through your playlists in another window. Just drag and drop. It was quick, easy and it worked. While I understand how to add songs into a playlist in the current version, it is now more steps and more time. This is a very "Microsoft" style of complication and a shame to see happen in an Apple program. And yes, I will be submitting feedback. I know this a user forum. I just didn't want n8zilla to think he was alone in this. Here's the feedback link, BTW

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

Cheers!

Matt Taylor

Dec 10, 2012 7:26 AM in response to n8zilla

I play music for sporting events and having the ability to have several playlists open at once is critical because i need to play certain songs as quick as possible (ie play the goal horn as soon as the home team scores).

I know this is a really niche requirement but I don't see why they would take this feature out.

I'm reeeaaaalllly hoping they put this back or I will have to switch media players which would suck.

Dec 12, 2012 2:55 AM in response to n8zilla

For me, I would always have the iTunes Store in a seperate window so I could look at it and my Library at the same time which is really handy for correcting all the info of your music such as track title, artist name, album name, and everything else. Your data has to match the iTunes Store or be somewhat similar in order for Genuis to work properley or to gather album artwork. But now I can no longer look at two windows at once so I won't be as productive while correcting all of my music.

I want to downgrade to 10.7 like mattalex. But I will give Apple a chance to fix some stuff with iTunes 11 before I do that. So far I'm not impressed with iTunes 11. I absolutely hate it when software does a downgrade. What made Apple want to take away the option to have multiple windows open? And why would they take away the ability to look at your album artwork in the bottom left corner? And why can't I see the album artwork of all the albums anymore on the left side of my Library? These are the things I really hate about iTunes 11 and I have only spent 30 minutes on it so far. I'm afraid I am going to find more things I hate...

Dec 12, 2012 6:31 AM in response to n8zilla

n8zilla, don't listen to this kilima kid. This iTunes is not wonderful and you anger is fully justified. Just posting to show support for this issue because it's highly frustrating.

I also love that new feature they added that starts you at the top of your music library, instead of the artist your were previously looking at; every time you look at something different, like a playlist since you can't open them in different windows!

Back to iTunes 10.7 I go.

why can't i open a playlist in a new window with itunes 11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.