Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Substituting Commas for Decimal Points on Foreign Currency Spreadsheets

I'm trying to produce a spreadsheet using Brazilian Currency. Conveniently, one can select the Cell Format window in the Inspector, choose Currency from the pulldown menu and select the Brazilian Real (R$) from the Symbol pulldown menu. Unfortunately, Numbers does not automatically reformat the cells to reflect true notation of the Brazilian Real, which uses a (demical) point/period as the thousands separator, and conversely, uses a comma as a decimal point.

Does anyone know a fast and easy way to implement this switch?... i.e., to make every Currency Cell use a point/period for a thousands separator, and a comma for a decimal point?

Thanks!

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 8:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 9:44 PM

Numbers uses the regional setting inn System Preferences > International to set your default number and currency formats.

User uploaded file

Brazil is a sub-set of Portuguese, found well down the list:

User uploaded file

You could choose any region which uses the comma as the decimal separator, but choosing Brazil should also set the Real as the currency symbol.

Regards,

Barry

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2012 9:44 PM in response to KiteSurfer

Numbers uses the regional setting inn System Preferences > International to set your default number and currency formats.

User uploaded file

Brazil is a sub-set of Portuguese, found well down the list:

User uploaded file

You could choose any region which uses the comma as the decimal separator, but choosing Brazil should also set the Real as the currency symbol.

Regards,

Barry

Dec 8, 2012 4:35 AM in response to Barry

Hi Barry,

Are you suggesting that I make this preference change just prior to working on a Brazlian spreadsheet?... and I assume return the preferences to my regular (USA/English) default when I'm finished with the spreadsheet?

I assume I would have to save the spreadsheet as a PDF file or something similar to preserve its Brazilian currency formatting prior to returning to those original USA/English default settings. Is that correct?

Dec 8, 2012 4:20 PM in response to KiteSurfer

I don't know of a way to make the change specific to a particular spreadsheet. As Barry said, it is a system-wide setting.

If you change your settings so a point is the thousands separator and a comma is for decimals, all spreadsheets will take on that format when you look at them. Change back to US standard formatting and they'll all display with the US standard number formatting. So you don't have to save the spreadsheet as a PDF to preserve it, just change back to the Brazilian number format before you open it.

I wish there was a method to quickly change from one format to the other. You can change input devices (i.e, keyboard mappings) with a mouse click but, as far as I know, not the number & date format settings. Maybe a third-party app is available to provide quick switching. I'm sure you're not the only one who needs it.

Substituting Commas for Decimal Points on Foreign Currency Spreadsheets

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.