Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes 11 "add to library" not working (drag and drop too)

I just updated to itunes 11 and the add to library function is not working both manually and drag and drop. I used to be able to add a video to the itunes media file, click add to library, click the file and it would pull it in to itunes. None of this works including the drag and drop feature. The preferences folder is set correctly.....please help.

brock

itunes 11-OTHER

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 7:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 1:31 PM

It appears movies added to iTunes manually (not purchased through iTunes), are automatically put in the "Home Movie" media kind/category. I don't remember this kind in previous iTunes, but maybe it's just not one I used. I've seen where this is due to using MetaX, but I don't think so as "Home Movie" is not an option in MetaX. I cannot find any option in iTunes preferences to change this. Maybe Apple will change this in an update - I hope so. For now, I just go in and manually change this in the movie Info setting. I keep all of my movies in digital format, so this is a bit of a pain.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2012 1:31 PM in response to btups

It appears movies added to iTunes manually (not purchased through iTunes), are automatically put in the "Home Movie" media kind/category. I don't remember this kind in previous iTunes, but maybe it's just not one I used. I've seen where this is due to using MetaX, but I don't think so as "Home Movie" is not an option in MetaX. I cannot find any option in iTunes preferences to change this. Maybe Apple will change this in an update - I hope so. For now, I just go in and manually change this in the movie Info setting. I keep all of my movies in digital format, so this is a bit of a pain.

Dec 8, 2012 6:31 PM in response to kuztcd

Thanks kuztcd,

the home movie tip helped....this is what i figured out today. My movie formats were in .avi format, which was fine for itunes 10. They no longer work for input. I converted my files to .mp4 using hand brake, re added to library, they were picked up and dropped into home videos. A quick re-classify and everything worked perfectly.

Chers

itunes 11 "add to library" not working (drag and drop too)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.