Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open mail preferences

My mail preferences suddenly decided they don't want me to make any changes anymore.

I just noticed tonight, but I haven't bothered with any prefs for some time. Probably a few months, so who knows. When I try to access preferences now, I get the little rainbow whirligig and mail is completely locked. I have to force quit Mail.

I can use Mail normally otherwise.

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 9:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 9:24 PM

On another thread I found someone suggesting it's a problem with Keychain so I am running Keychain access/Keychain first aid... and now IT is not responding. Sigh.

(later)

So after force quitting keychain first aid Keychain Access would completely hang on open. So what I did was blow away the entire set of keychain plist files and restart keychain. BINGO, worked just fine (had to reenter a password or two) and now mail preferences opens.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 7, 2012 9:24 PM in response to terriergal

On another thread I found someone suggesting it's a problem with Keychain so I am running Keychain access/Keychain first aid... and now IT is not responding. Sigh.

(later)

So after force quitting keychain first aid Keychain Access would completely hang on open. So what I did was blow away the entire set of keychain plist files and restart keychain. BINGO, worked just fine (had to reenter a password or two) and now mail preferences opens.

Can't open mail preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.