Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

some .mov files wont work in quicktime player(10.2) and itunes 11.

Hi,i have quicktime player version 10.2 on my os x mountain lion (10.8.2).i am using macbook pro.the problem is i cant play some .mov files on quicktime and itunes 11.i can play this files with other media players such as vlc and quicktime player 7.My real intention was to create a playlist which includes some .mov formatted files on my itunes's sidebar.i have imported some files with the same format to the itunes without any problem but i cant these files.i even cant see these files in finder's preview.and also,i have tried to open this files in my wife's macbook pro,with os x 10.7.5,it opened and played well.

when i try to open these files in quicktime 10.2,the quicktime windows pop ups at the same time.it's trying to open and play files but cant.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Late 2011), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2), 2.2 ghz,4 gb of ram

Posted on Dec 7, 2012 10:00 PM

11 replies

Dec 18, 2012 12:16 PM in response to bohemaxxtum

Hi,i have quicktime player version 10.2 on my os x mountain lion (10.8.2).i am using macbook pro.the problem is i cant play some .mov files on quicktime and itunes 11.

MOV is the generic QT file container. What specific audio and video compression formats are contained in the MOV files?

i can play this files with other media players such as vlc and quicktime player 7.

The QT X player v10.2 relies on your system's installed codec component configuration for playback while the VLC media player employs codecs built into the application itself. This is why it is important to know which compression formats are having problems.

i have imported some files with the same format to the itunes without any problem but i cant these files.

By "format" here, are you referring to the same file extension type or the same audio and video compression formats?

i even cant see these files in finder's preview.

The finder's icon "preview" is based on "QuickLook" technology—not "QuickTime"—so the issues may or may not be related.

and also,i have tried to open this files in my wife's macbook pro,with os x 10.7.5,it opened and played well.

Have you compared your wife's system codec component configuration with that of your Mountain Lion system so see if you are missing any codecs that are installed her system?

User uploaded file

Dec 18, 2012 11:14 PM in response to Jon Walker

Hi,when i use contextual menu's " get info " on .mov file,these things are written:

Dimensions:880x660

Codecs:Sorenson Video 3,MPEG Layer 3,PNG.

If these feedback is not enough,can u pls suggest how i can get more information about compression type and codec component of those files ? And also,is there any way to see which codec components i have in my quicktime player ?

Dec 19, 2012 6:40 AM in response to bohemaxxtum

Hi,when i use contextual menu's " get info " on .mov file,these things are written:

Dimensions:880x660

Codecs:Sorenson Video 3,MPEG Layer 3,PNG.

While I personally would like to know if the PNG track is being used for the display of a PNG image in the background or foreground or for Motion-PNG video, it probably makes no playback difference here... (I.e., if you have QT 7 Pro installed, it would be nice to get a look at the "Properties" window.) However, if you regularly export to "legacy" codecs like Sorenson or Motion-PNG, then you will need to re-enable your legacy audio and/or video codecs which are, by default, disabled for export use under Mountain Lion.

Basically, this looks like a legacy file (i.e., Sorenson/H.263 video with MP3 audio is a common FLV file codec combination). Since legacy codec support is, in general, being dropped from QT, I would normally recommend keeping both the Perian codec component package and the QT 7 player installed to handle older content which may or may not play in the QT X player any longer.

If these feedback is not enough,can u pls suggest how i can get more information about compression type and codec component of those files ?

If a file will not open in any media player, then the Finder's "Get Info" may provide the most basic information. If a file opens in a media player, then the best thing is to use that app's media information window (window may be called Inspector, Media Info, Clip Info, etc.) to provide additional information. One handy, independent, dedicated utility gor general use would be the free MediaInfo app which can be downloaded from the internet. Since most of my video content targets QT, iTunes, iPod, iPhone, iPad, and TV use, I normally prefer opening files in QT 7 Pro and examining the content as depicted in both the "Inspector" and "Properties" windows as depicted below:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

And also,is there any way to see which codec components i have in my quicktime player ?

Apple "Pro" Editing and third-party add-on codec compnents are normally stored for global use in the "~/Library/Quicktime" folder. Here is the configuration for my system:

User uploaded file

System, add-on AppleProResDecoder, and older QT 7 MPEG-2 Playback Component are all stored for blobal use in the "~/System/Library/QuickTime" folder as seen here:

User uploaded file

Codec components can also be installed in similar folders for "local user" use in each user account but this practice seems to have generally ceased with the release of Snow Leopard.

Suggest you check to see if your wife's third-party configuration includes the Perian codec component and your system does not since this is the codec which my sytsem defaults to for the playback of Sorenson/MP3 MOV content as seen here:

User uploaded file

Good Luck!

User uploaded file

Dec 19, 2012 7:21 AM in response to Jon Walker

Jon Walker,thanks for your detailed and useful post.I have checked related files codec info with QT 7 inspector and screenshot is as below.

User uploaded file

and also,i have checked my QT X Player's components in system/library/QT folder and though i have both perian and flip4mac in my system,i couldnt see any component related to them.for example,in your quicktime folder,i can see some components of perian and flip4mac.but in my QT folder,there is no.

User uploaded file

Any idea ?

Message was edited by: bohemaxxtum

Dec 19, 2012 7:46 AM in response to bohemaxxtum

By the way i have just checked QT X folder for third party add ons and components,yes,both,perian and flip4mac components are there like your one.But,there is still one weird thing is remaining that i just checked my wife's system and in her system, there is even no perian and flip4mac installed.She is using os x lion 10.7.5 and QT X player version is 10.1.it's really weird that her quicktime player can play this files and i cant.

Message was edited by: bohemaxxtum

Dec 19, 2012 9:26 AM in response to bohemaxxtum

Jon Walker,thanks for your detailed and useful post.I have checked related files codec info with QT 7 inspector and screenshot is as below.

User uploaded file

Unable to see screenshot image (only file name) so I am still not sure what the format lines say here.

and also,i have checked my QT X Player's components in system/library/QT folder and though i have both perian and flip4mac in my system,i couldnt see any component related to them.for example,in your quicktime folder,i can see some components of perian and flip4mac.but in my QT folder,there is no.

User uploaded file

Again, unable to see your screenshot image. If you are saying that Perian and Flip4Mac codec components were installed on your system but they do not show up in the "~/Library/QuickTime" folder then they are not really available for use by any QT based app app that can access your system's codec component configuration—including third-party apps like MPEG Streamclip. If you are saying the these components are located in the "~/System/Library/QuickTime" folder then they were improperly installed.

Any idea ?

Since I do not keep either the "SorensonVideo" or "SorensonVideo3" codecs export enabled and QT does not natively export MP3 content (other than via iTunes), I created a pseudo-Sorenson/MP3 file by copying the Sorenson/MP3 data from an FLV file to an MOV file. While file plays with Perian turned on, when I turned it off, the file would not play because QT does the "FLV1" Sorenson video codec originally used to encode the content. Therefore, I went back and re-enabled both the "SorensonVideo" and "SorensonVideo3" legacy codecs and created my own Sorenson Video 3/AIFF MOV file to retest in both the QT X v10.2 and QT 7 v7.6.6 player apps. Using this codec the file plays correctly in both but video is supported by the Sorenson Video 3 Decompressor built into QT rather than the Perian codec as seen here:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Based on your last follow-up regarding your wife's playback and lack of codecs would really like you to try and repost both the screenshots of your wife's QT X and your QT 7 Inspector windows. (I.e., either upload the images to this forum or email them to me.) Still not sure why your file is having a problem on your Mountain Lion system since the built-in Sorenson Video 3 support still functions on my system. May need to examine the actual (or similar non-playing sample) file to determine if the problem is linked to your specific system or to the OS/QT v10.2 player in general. If you have such a file available that is small enough, it too can be emailed. If not it would likely have to be either posted to a server for download or transmitted peer-to-peer.

User uploaded file

Jan 31, 2013 1:33 PM in response to Jon Walker

Hi Jon - it seems I'm having similar issues as bohemaxxtum.

I have videos converted with VideoDrive. Properties Window of QT7 in which it plays flawlessly shows in the format column:

Sound Track: MPEG 3 Layer

Video Track: MPEG4 Decompressor (libavcodec)

I do have the latest Perian installed and also Flip4Mac. Until recently everything worked flawlessly, now I realized there is trouble based on iTunes throughing an error: "This movie requires QuickTime, which is not supported by this version of iTunes".

Any idea what could be done to get me back on track with QT10.2 and iTunes 11?

Thanks, Adam

Jan 31, 2013 2:18 PM in response to pocsy

Sound Track: MPEG 3 Layer

Video Track: MPEG4 Decompressor (libavcodec)

Normally I would recommend using a "classic" QT media player or creating file content that is "natively" compatible with QT X, QT 7, and versions of iTunes that have "crossed over to the dark side." Basically, MPEG4/MP3 content has been an on again-off again format depending on the player version and the specific coding of the MP3 audio (CBR/VBR). If I am creating my own content, I normally use MPEG-4 AVC for the video and include both AAC and AC3 audio tracks to make the file playback compatible with QT X, QT 7, GarageBand, iTunes, MPEG Streamclip, VLC, mobile devices and TV. If I am simply fixing one or two MPEG4/MP3 files, I tend to use QT 7 Pro to passthrough video and convert the MP3 to AAC to make the files universally QT app compatible.

I have videos converted with VideoDrive.

I do have VideoDrive installed on my system but tend not to use it as it either automatically does what I can do manually or it modifies settings that Apple security trapping doesn't like—frequently making mutimedia files unplayable/unopenable following security updates to the system. Basically, it seems easier to me in the long run to make files that are universally compoatible with QT based products than use a "workaround" that turns out to only be temporay until Apple comes up with a change to close some security loophole. Unfortunately, most/many users prefer a "quick fix" and don't worry about such long-term or universal compatibility questions.

User uploaded file

some .mov files wont work in quicktime player(10.2) and itunes 11.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.