Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt SSD System Freeze

Hi - to benefit from the increased speed of thunderbolt and SSD, I purchased a 256GB kingston SSD and a seagate thunderbolt adapter. I installed Mountain Lion on it and since installed it's been causing various crashes.

The first set of problems I got was the machine would randomly reboot in the middle of the night after I put it to sleep. I think I've fixed that by turning off WAKE ON LAN and someone about power saving on the HDD.

Now I'm getting a different problem.

After a few hours of computing (at least I think it's a few hours, it could be less..maybe 30-60 minutes) the system hangs and I have to cold reboot. I've noticed that it generaly hangs while I'm accessing the internal 1TB drive. I can access it fine throughout the session but after some time, when I do acces it, I found the syste hangs.

I have crash reports but it's Sanskrit to me.

Any help would be appreciated...

iMac, Mac OS X (10.7.4), 1TB HDD | 16GB RAM

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 6:04 AM

3 replies

Dec 8, 2012 7:30 AM in response to ohmymac

First off the Kingston SSDs are not that good. I have one, Sent it back for replacement as it stopped working, Second one In got isn't much better. Gets HOT when in use, I have 2 Intel SSDs that you kcan't tell if they are powered or off as the temp is the same either way.

Second I have found the Seagate Adapters are not that good either. They are made to go with the SG GoFlex system and although they have a standard SATA data & power connector they seem to not work very well with just any drive plugged into them. I have one for FW 800+USB 2 and have given up on trying to use it. Most times if I insert a drive in it both Widows and OS X state the drive is not formatted or initialized. I just used that drive with a USB adapter or in the SG adapter a day or so ago. So that adapter now sits in a closet waitiing to be thrown away.

Mount the SSD inside your system and then whatever drive was in your system in a external case, maybe even that SG adapter.

Dec 8, 2012 7:36 AM in response to Shootist007

That's actually a good point.... the drive DOES get hot and in fact, my iMAC just crashed on me a little over 60 minutes of usage and I was simply doing an Adobe update.

I'm wondering if it stalls due to overheating??

I'd love to "internalize" the SSD however I don't fancy opening the screen and potentially voiding my warranty.

Is your intel internal?

Dec 8, 2012 7:50 AM in response to ohmymac

Yes my 2 intel SSDs are installed inside my computers. One is in my Windows desktop and the other in my Dell Latitude E6420 notebook. The Kingston was for my Macbook Pro as I figured I save a few buck going with kingston. Big mistake. The replacement Kingston is sitting on my desk with a install of Win 8 on it. I switch it out every now and then with the Intel SSD with Win 7 in my desktop for Tech Support of Win 8.

After I took the kingston out of the Mac I installed a Seagate XT then removed that and went back to the original HDD the Mac came with. I'm finding I'm Not a Mac person and only use the MBP sometimes. Again mainly for tech supporting others.

Thunderbolt SSD System Freeze

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.