Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture wont import other aperture library files - no error message?

I have my main Aperture library on my mac mini, with all masters reallocated on a NAS.

I have a secondary Aperture library on my MBP that I use for importing and editing from my camera. My process is then exporting the library from the MBP to the Mini - has worked fine in the past.

When I try it now Aperture will perform as if its importing them, with a pop up box saying adding/merging, few minutes later it disapears - no error messages etc, however no new photos have been added?

Things I've tried so far are:

- Repair disk permissions

- Repair and Rebuild aperture library

- Re exporting original library

- Openening up the library on the Mini, it opens up fine. Ive then tried re-exporting it directly from the mini and then importing again into the main library

Still no luck - any help?

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.1)

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 6:30 AM

10 replies

Dec 8, 2012 9:00 AM in response to meduk1

What is your Aperture version? Is the profile signature Mac OS X (10.7.1) current?

Have tried to rebuild the Libraries both on the MBP and the Mini? Are both machines using the same version of Aperture?

So far I have only seen this strange behaviour, when importing a library that contains images imported from the Photos stream. Then Aperture will go through the motions, but will not import a single image. But you said, the images you want to import came from your camera? Have they been directly imported into Aperture on the MBP or are you using Photo Stream (asuming your system version supports it)?

Regards

Léonie

Dec 8, 2012 11:03 AM in response to léonie

Latest version of both aperture and osx on both machines. Pics imported direct from camera.

Have done this before 100 times and all fine. Only thing that has changed is a rebuilt my mini with a fresh install a few months ago and used a backup of my aperture library but don't see how that can be a prob. Aperture itself is working fine.

Will try the rebuild on the mbp side

Dec 9, 2012 9:35 AM in response to meduk1

Only thing that has changed is a rebuilt my mini with a fresh install a few months ago and used a backup of my aperture library but don't see how that can be a prob. Aperture itself is working fine.

Did you use a backup of the library on your MBP for this? Is the library on the iMac now a descendent of the library on the MBP? Aperture has a strange quirk that it will not import and merge a copy of a library into the original of the library. Then simply nothing will happen, as I have seen occasionally.

In that case it might help to turn your library on the MBP into a new library by creating a new library and importing your current MBP-library into it.

Dec 10, 2012 1:11 AM in response to léonie

Hmmm, so originally the full library was on the MBP. I then transfered to the mini and deleted it off the MBP to save space.

I was then able to succesfully import from the MBP onto the Mini with no issues. The MBP would only contain the projects I was working on, whilst the mini had my full library.

I recently installed a SSD into the Mini and decided to do a fresh install, so simply backed up the library onto an external disk and then transfered back once finished.

Since that reinstall this is the first time I've tried to import images - and no luck.

Don't think I can try the above as the Mini is my only system that has my full library. I could try transfering it to the MBP as a new library, then importing directly on the MBP and then transfering back - but I'm starting to go into a crazy process for future library transfers!

Dec 10, 2012 3:45 AM in response to meduk1

Where is the option to add vs merge? I'm just going to import library - no further questions are asked.

There should be the option:

When I am importing a library I usually see this panel after selecting "ImportLibrary":

User uploaded file

Only if there are no duplicate or updated images will Aperture proceed with the import without prmpting for "Merge" or Add". You could try to include a duplicate into you export to force this panel to be shown.

All images are imported into there original projects, if the matching project exists, so it may not be noticable that an import has happened.

Aperture wont import other aperture library files - no error message?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.