Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Doesn't iPhoto negate the need to sync photos from my windows laptop?

My confusion started here.... https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4578355?answerId=20512109022#20512109022

Then I thought I had it solved!

So I created Journals and I could share them with anyone via the web - super!

BUT.... I have just deleted the photos from the photos app and my journals are empty?!?!?!?

I thought the photos uploaded to iCloud?

Confused!!

What about the photos I have on my windows laptop? I dont want to have organise/store all my photos on my laptop and sync them each time I make an update.

Doesn't iPhoto get around this? Surely?

Or am I completely missing the point?

Any help with my confusion would be VERY much appreciated.

Cheers.

iPad 2, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 7:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 3:22 PM

BUT.... I have just deleted the photos from the photos app and my journals are empty?!?!?!?

The journals are uploaded to iCloud, but synced and edited with the one device that created them. When you create them with your iPhone, you have to keep them in the camera roll of your iPhone.

I recommended the journals, because they are the only way to get photos into iCloud for more than a month. The photo stream entries will vanish after a month. The journals may live longer, and they are synced to the version on your phone. The advantage of journals is, that you can browse them from the web on your other devices, so you do not need to import them on the other devices, like the PhotoStream.

What about the photos I have on my windows laptop? I dont want to have organise/store all my photos on my laptop and sync them each time I make an update.

Now I am confused. How many photos are we talking about? A lphoto library can grow very quickly. You will not be able to store all your photos on the iPhone in the long run.

The general idea with iPhoto in the iCloud is to have a selection of your best photos with you on your mobile device and to upload it to iCloud to share the best photos with all your other devices. But your main photo library shoud be on your main computer with plenty of disk space, maybe on an external disk. iCloud only has 5GB of free storage anyway, and that is also needed for your other documents, mail, etc.

Are you running out of space on your laptop?

Regards

Léonie

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 8, 2012 3:22 PM in response to ryanpik

The journals are uploaded to iCloud, but synced and edited with the one device that created them. When you create them with your iPhone, you have to keep them in the camera roll of your iPhone.

I recommended the journals, because they are the only way to get photos into iCloud for more than a month. The photo stream entries will vanish after a month. The journals may live longer, and they are synced to the version on your phone. The advantage of journals is, that you can browse them from the web on your other devices, so you do not need to import them on the other devices, like the PhotoStream.

Now I am confused. How many photos are we talking about? A lphoto library can grow very quickly. You will not be able to store all your photos on the iPhone in the long run.

The general idea with iPhoto in the iCloud is to have a selection of your best photos with you on your mobile device and to upload it to iCloud to share the best photos with all your other devices. But your main photo library shoud be on your main computer with plenty of disk space, maybe on an external disk. iCloud only has 5GB of free storage anyway, and that is also needed for your other documents, mail, etc.

Are you running out of space on your laptop?

Regards

Léonie

Doesn't iPhoto negate the need to sync photos from my windows laptop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.