Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes 11 import & convert to mp3 in one shot?

Bonjour, Hello,

Can't import and convert a sound file from my computer into iTunes 11.

With the former Itunes I used to press "alt" and click the "convert to mp3" from the menu. There was no problem.

Now, in iTunes 11, I found the same command (in file menu-> create a new version->convert to mp3) but it refuse to select any sound file on my hard disk.

The only solution I found for now is to import the file into the iTunes library and then convert the song to mp3 and delete original files : too munch time, too munch manipulations!

Any tricks?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.2)

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 7:29 AM

6 replies

Dec 16, 2012 9:09 AM in response to Steve Taylor1

Steve Taylor1 wrote:

Convert a song’s file format

1. Choose iTunes > Preferences, click General, and click Import Settings.
  2. In the Import Using pop-up menu, choose the format you want to convert songs to, and click OK to save the settings.

File, add to library select files click import should come in mp3 format or whatever else you use

This simply adds a song in whatever format it already is. Nothing is converted (unless you are importing an AudioCD).

Dec 26, 2012 5:26 AM in response to JLKLO

Thanks all for replies.

But the problem is not yet solve.

Chris CA said:

"It is moved to the File menu.

iTunes menu File > Create New Version (hold Option) > Convert to (import settings)"

But the problem is the target soundfile (Wav, for example) is gray and I can't select it then, convert it.

This fonction well worked with former iTunes.

Thanks for any idea

itunes 11 import & convert to mp3 in one shot?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.