Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Get Names for CD's

I am on iTunes 11.0 and I put in my CD deadmau5 4x4=12 and they all imported but without names just saying "Track #", I went into my import CD preferences and made sure it was on "Automatically recieve CD track names from the internet, but it still didnt work. My settings are to import using AAC Encoder. When I tried manually getting the names it said "Unable to connect to the CDDB server, this network cannot be reached, make sure that your network connection is active and your network settings are correct. Please help me I'm so confused.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 8:13 AM

13 replies

Dec 26, 2012 1:41 PM in response to nacholover

"Unable to connect to the CDDB server. The network cannot be reached.

Make sure your Internet connection is active and your network settings are correct, then try again."

I'm getting exactly the same problem. It seemd to arise after updating to iTunes 11.

Absolutely no problem connecting to Internet, iTunes store, iTunes Match but not to the CDDB database ...

There seem to be a number of similar compalints under different posts here over the course of the last month. But so far no one has psoted a solution as far as I can see.

Jan 8, 2013 5:16 AM in response to NickWR

Since it just seems to be a handful of people for what appears to be a short period of time I would not say this is big problem.

When ripping the CD be sure and enter at least the Artist and Album ID3 tags, then when they are in the iTunes library highlight them all, right-click, and choose "get track names." That's another method to do it.

Feb 6, 2013 1:33 PM in response to nacholover

I found a fix. I'm running iTunes 11.0.1 on a Macbook Pro 15" with Mountain Lion. First close iTunes or use Force Quit if necessary. Then in Finder go to the folder labeled Previous iTunes Libraries located in Users/Username/Music/iTunes and move all of the saved past iTunes libraries into the trash. Empty the trash, restart iTunes, pop in your CD and voila, instant track names.

Jul 11, 2016 8:44 AM in response to Elaine Hartly

Personally I would not trash these, I would simply move them to a different folder. You may need these files to recover your library should a problem arise during the next iTunes application update.

There is also no clear reason why this helps at all since iTunes nothing at all to do with these files once they are moved to that folder, and the library file has nothing to do with CD identification anyway (and certainly none of these retired versions). I have not had this problem so I can't investigate but it may be that doing this, or even just emptying the trash alone, may have a related affect to what is truly causing the problem.

Can't Get Names for CD's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.