Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro will not turn on

Last night I ran some updates on my 13 inch MacBook Pro ( purchased in July). Then shut the machine down.

This morning, it will not power up. ***? Help!!

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012), iOS 6

Posted on Dec 8, 2012 9:00 AM

14 replies

Dec 10, 2012 12:32 PM in response to ds store

Thanks for the helpful tips!

When none of these solutions (particularly those from the article that CMCSK sent) helped at all, I took it to the genius bar. Someone dribbled coffee on it at some point & it got inside. I say dribbled because there was ZERO evidence of it on the outside. I am. so. ******. I have been so careful, but not everyone is so.

Jan 31, 2013 6:04 PM in response to Kbatty

Had same problem as Mac went into Rip Van Winkle mode and remained somnambulent for several days.

Took it to Apple store today and received following diagosis:

Component: Power

Issue: Dead unit/no power

Issue: Customer reports that the computer will not power on.

Steps to Reproduce: Attempt to power. Resetting SMC gets the computer to power temporarily, however shutting down and attempting to power again does not work and requires another SMC reset.

Proposed Resolution: Replace the logic board for SMC issues, replace top case for y not working properly. Replace battery for overcharging if necessary. Was advised to cycle the battery 2-3 times monthly and not leave machine on power source for extended periods of time as this can overcharge battery which can cause other problems.

7-10 days and $300.+ as is 83 days beyond warranty.

Hope this helps someone else.

Feb 1, 2013 12:23 PM in response to kenny80

kenny80 wrote:

what was the outcome of ur mac, did you have to pay anything for damages even with apple care? My mac is doing the same thing but also the green light on the magsafe is flickering and a dim green, not fully bright as usual. let me know please. thanks

Applecare does not cover spilling coffee (or any other liquid) into your Mac, if this is the cause then it is not covered.

Feb 1, 2013 2:07 PM in response to Kbatty

I got it to work!! i unscrewed the bottom and took out the battery for a few minutes. Blew all the sand and dirt out because im in afghanistan on deployment so there was quite a bit in there and a genius bar is not an option, then put the battery back in and it turned on. It went into terminal mode so i restarted it and pressed control upon startup and it gave me the Mac HD option and it was fixed. I found how to do this by just youtubing videos.
Thanks for your help.

Dec 17, 2013 3:17 AM in response to Kbatty

I simply just opened up my MacBook by removing the screws on the back and then disconnected the battery without removing the battery. It sparked up for some reason. I then reconnected the battery and turned it on. Took a few minutes to reload but the websites it died on remained open the entire time it would not charge. It's 3:11 am right now but my MacBook says its 3:47pm lol.

MacBook Pro will not turn on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.